• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone hauled a M109 box on a car hauler trailer?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting ready to recover a M109 box from a deuce and a half.
I was going to pull the bed off of a deuce and then drive it 4 hours to the pickup location, load it on the deuce and the drive it 4 hours back.

Instead I am now considering using my 10K lb car hauler trailer and my pick-up truck (2500HD). That will provide a much more comfortable and reliable long distance ride for my 6'8" frame.

From BadMastard's (Jerry) thread the M109 box is only 3800 lbs and the TMs put it at 98" wide. I can't find a box length, but a m35a2 bed fit on the trailer before, so hopefully the box will also. I am figuring it to be a little more than 12' long.

I am going to make up some wide, stable, spacers/blocks to raise the box's frame rails above the trailer's wheel wells.

At the minimum I was going to use 4" wide ratchet straps over the box to the trailer frame, side to side, to secure the load.

How does the box attach to its frame, where it rests on the truck frame?
From the top down are there wood sheets, sitting on side to side 'c' channel beams sitting on top of 2 front to back beams that run parallel to the trucks frame rail, like the under side of a deuce bed?

If so I can use additional chains and binders thru the holes/across the beams of the M109 box and attache them to the trailer.

In the pix is the trailer with my buddy's 401 unimog.

Think it will work?
Any one do this before?
If so how did you make it work?
Got any pix of the underside of a M109 box?
How about its length?
Are there any other points on the box to secure to?

Attachments

Last edited:

derby

I think there are anchor points on all four top corners. You could cris cross the straps to keep it from getting tippy. Some old RR ties could be handy.

What are you using to lift it?

SMOKEWAGON66

I hauled one on a flatbed equipment trailer. We rolled it on from the rear with 2 inch pipe, like it rolls forward, take the pipe from the end and place it on the front. Then lifted it up and set it on 2x4's and chained it from top front left to bottom rear left, and vise versa, with ratcheting chain binders. It was more then sufficient to secure the load. Hauling a box is easy [thumbzup]

...If you use the trailer you have pictured though, your fenders might be a problem.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop vans are the same length as the regular cargo trucks, so the van body has to be the same length (within an inch or two) as the cargo bed. The S-280 shelter is a little smaller because it has to fit inside the cargo bed. When in doubt, check the TM's, I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks