• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone tried to fit this pump in?

rustystud

I read your extremely small lettered papers and totally agree with them. Yes fuels are mixed with Bio-Diesel. Yes old hoses manufactured before 1993 are susceptible to Bio-Diesel. What does that have to do with "Nitrile Type C" hose ? Did you notice the "Type C" written after Nitrile on the specifications sheet ?
As far as calling "Gates" liars I did not say that. As far as calling any of those organizations liars I did not. So whose lying here ? I told you so many times now that Gates must say their hose does not meet SAE J30R10 standards due to legal reasons. But it used to meet those standards !!!! Again whose lying ?
Since you brought up your "credentials" lets look at them. According to your PM to me you stated you are NOT a mechanic nor do you do the actual work in your shop. That's why you hire people. No problem with that. Your only mechanical experience is wood working in your grandfathers shop. Again nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is your trying to give the impression that your an "experienced" automotive expert. What you are, is a good business man. Again nothing wrong with that. Just tell the truth.

View attachment Scan0259.pdfView attachment Scan0260.pdfView attachment Scan0261.pdf

Here's a couple of papers to read (in full size print ! ) that shows what I've been saying over and over again.
Now before you start attacking me again, why don't you answer me a question ?
Why does "Olympic Controls" still use "Gates hose 4219-0102" if it is "BAD" for our trucks ? They are "Military Contractors " for goodness sake !!!
Please answer that ! You do realize they could go to prison for selling faulty products ! and yes they still sell this pump to the military !
Don't try and give some BS confusing reason with nothing to back up what your trying to say.
I know your trying to make a "Name" for yourself here. That is obvious, and I'm not judging you for that. Try actually finding something that will benefit the community. People like that, I like reading things like that. I love it when someone comes up with really cool ideas to fix problems or add something cool to our trucks. I've modified my truck from several ideas from here. I've also added my own a few times too. That's what makes this site fun.

texas30cal

I don't want to interrupt, just have info to Add. I wasn't able to get the gates hose locally, the only place I found that listed it wanted me to buy the whole roll. I found parker push lock 8600 on a popular auction site, I've used lots of push lock in the past and it was always good. This is sold by the foot, is blue with synthetic rubber inner and outer, parker says it's fine for submersion in gas, diesel or oil, did not ask about biodiesel. The same seller also had the crimp type hose clamps for it.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In post 118 Rusty Stud said; "This is the last time I'm wasting my time on you"

In post 136 Rusty Stud said; "OK this will be my last post on this matter."

In post 141 Rusty Stud said; "Since you brought up your "credentials" lets look at them. According to your PM to me you stated you are NOT a mechanic nor do you do the actual work in your shop. That's why you hire people. No problem with that. Your only mechanical experience is wood working in your grandfathers shop. Again nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is your trying to give the impression that your an "experienced" automotive expert. What you are, is a good business man. Again nothing wrong with that. Just tell the truth."

Rusty, you know as well as I do that I didn't write any of that crap. Everything you wrote in the above paragraph either IS a flat-out lie, or an assumption, about as accurate as if someone was to say "Rusty Stud is a retired bus station janitor"... From day one, the only 2 employees of our automotive business have been my wife and I. We've never hired, or subcontracted, to anyone in the past 25 years. All the work is done by us. I was a machine room foreman for an architectural woodwork shop back in 1985+, and managed employees then, but I haven't worked in a woodshop since the early 90's. Last time I helped Grandad was about 1976, yes, 1976! Dang. I was trying to help when I wrote up post #100. We've stated our beliefs/preferences for pump hose, I believe it's time we let 'er go.
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Yeah, this needs to stop, or we’re gonna lose one or two valuable members. Agree to disagree, learn to walk away, learn to be Ok with being wrong, whatever. Not that big of a deal, but I sure do appreciate all the homework being done. Pretty sure the two (very old) hoses I’ve pulled out of tanks we’re going soft, so I want the best for mine... As was posted earlier, it’s getting embarrassing.

rustystud

I totally agree. Yes I keep saying "this was my last post" but I was getting dragged back in.
Like I've said all along, I don't want misinformation getting out here.
I've seen that hose your referring too "texas30cal" and it is a good one. "Motion Industries" will sell by the foot, you just need to call them. I just ordered 20ft from them yesterday.
Switching to "Rant Off" . I just hope this has helped clarify the submersible hose issue for at least a few people.
:rant:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rusty, that Gates 4219-0102 hose is Nitrile*, inside and out (see #1 scan below) and while Nitrile has an excellent compatibility rating with "straight diesel"*, and it did meet the "standards of it's day"*, times are changing, and not all of us have, or are going to have, the luxury of running "straight diesel"...

This is what I've come to understand, for example, starting in May, Minnesota has mandated a 20% biodiesel blend for on-road vehicles Apr.- Sep. (see #2 scan below). From many sources I've read, It's important to note that B20 seems to be the threshold, or line, after which materials compatibility, including nitrile, can degrade rapidly. On a personal note, from what I've read, I DON'T want any significant % of biodiesel blend sitting in my tank with a nitrile hose. Nitrile has been given a "poor" or "unsatisfactory" rating in compatibility with biodiesel (see #3 scan/"Military Study" below). The higher the biodiesel blend the more the nitrile is effected. For newer nitrile hoses, B20 might not be a problem. Could be bad for old nitrile hoses in deuce tanks (Biodiesel effects are extensively pointed out in bottom paragraph, scan #3 "Military Study" below). I know that not all of us live in an area where biodiesel/blend has been mandated, but I don't believe any of us knows what our gubment is going to mandate next, or what's coming out of any given pump we pull up to. Remember the addage; "Change is the only thing that is constant". So, the additional $10 might be a good investment, putting something in the tank that we won't have to worry about if/when a higher biodiesel blend comes our way.

View attachment 723457View attachment 723426View attachment 723427

When I work on my truck, I do stuff like selectively applying anti-seize to fasteners, even the ones I'm sure I'll never have to remove again in my lifetime. I use Dielectric grease, even on brand new electrical connections, and even though I live in a semi-arid climate. I've spent more money on Viton o-rings and seals when the typical stuff would've sufficed. And I'll be replacing my old nitrile hose with Viton, to compliment my new pump. Even though my truck isn't "stock" I do these things because I consider myself the steward of that 50+ year old chunk of nostalgia, and I want it to be around long after I'm gone, even if it's "the next guy" that reaps the benefits of me doing those silly "down-the-road" preventative things. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum that does these things or thinks this way.

Respectfully,
Menaces Nemesis, AKA; "Some New Guy"... (Who has been the owner-operator of a Dealers-only automotive reconditioning business for over 25 years, and a manufacturer/supplier to Brownells Inc., the largest gunsmithing supplier on the planet. FWIW, going on 40 years in the work force, I don't feel so "new" anymore.)

In response to Rusty's #136 post, on behalf of myself, The Gates Corporation, The Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture, The National Biodiesel Board, U.S. Army TARDEC, and all the rest of us "Liars" out there, please enjoy a song from the late, great George Jones...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbgI_Dq3vo
The latest and greatest things are not always the best thing especially on these older machines. As much as you will operate your truck standard things will do. And are sometimes better for it overall. KISS - keep it simple stupid. Regardless for who the "next" guy is.

Any standard hose will work and last you a long time. Or if you are that paranoid you can use the eaton 101 hoses that is for B20 and higher. Cheap on ebay and get your own reuseable fittings.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...00-GH101/index.htm?wtredirect=eaton.com/GH100

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank should have bought EVERY pump that guy had on/within the eBay
Geee ...... they the best
I made invention to go with them

So I missed it but perhaps as the years go ON and ON, one may find a Bradley pump for sale by a sympathetic Steel Soldier member. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks