• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a deuce

TedG

When Chuck speaks, I listen! I will add that people seem to be hurry to take a short-cut, but they always have time for an accident. So why jeopardize safety...get it moved professionally. If you do some homework by calling a couple of movers, a few hundred dollars goes a long way towards moving a truck professionally. Also, I bet a mishap will surpass your deductible, that is if your insurance company does not pull "reservation of rights" on you.

houdel

You'll be screaming in your cab "God I hope I can stop"
The whole point of my posting was that IF the truck and trailer are both rated for the load and are working properly, you CAN stop safely although probably not as quickly as in an empty pickup truck by itself. That is where driver skill comes into play - making sure you driving carefully and attentively to avoid your scenario from happening if at all possible.

There will always be some hare-brained idiot willing to pull you right in front of you and sometimes it happens so fast that a collision is unavoidable no matter what you are driving. If that happens to someone towing a Deuce on a trailer and both the truck and trailer are operated within their capacities and all equipment is working properly, then the accident becomes the other driver's fault. Its called "Failure to yield the Right of Way" in most states. On the other hand, if your equipment is overloaded or not working properly, then it is YOUR fault and you pay through the nose!

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to get into an argument with you Chuck, it sounds like you are a man of the law and know your facts-in Michigan-that's why I stated each state is different. I did a lot of homework on this (after I was ticketed) and I understand the federal law does not require a CDL if it is for personal use, hell I even brought a copy of it to court with me. However, local states can be more strict than federal laws and Minnesota is one of those states. I was hauling a deuce on a 21,000 gvw trailer behind my 9200 gvw pickup and for that combo, regardless of purpose, requires a CDL. Even if I pull my trailer empty I need one.

Last edited:

cruz

just a quick question about the cdl,
I am a farmer, and in wisconsin you can use your vehicle for farm use without a cdl. however, what I am wondering is if I am using my m818 to deliver produce, "pumpkins", can I cross the state line into IL, as some of the people we sell wholesale to are in IL, but within the 150 miles allowed by WI. I would just like some clarification, also what about the same thing for my f-350 and gooseneck trailer?

dittle

Cruz,

Best thing to do with your question is to call both state's DMV and ask them directly. All that will happen asking here is that someone will do the same thing and then relay the message on. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it is what will happen.

FreightTrain

Banned
Perfectly safe if your trailer has good brakes,You load the trailer correctly,Chain everything down right and don't drive it like a hot rod.Drive it like a peterbilt.Plan ahead all your moves.Hitch and go.People do this safely and legally all the time with more weight.

ida34

Cruz,

Best thing to do with your question is to call both state's DMV and ask them directly. All that will happen asking here is that someone will do the same thing and then relay the message on. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it is what will happen.

I hate to differ but call your local commercial enforcement officer at you local PD, SO, or State Police. Calling DMV can get trying at best. I had one woman at the local SOS (Same as DMV) tell me I needed to get a 23000 plate for my F-350 because it had a flat bed. She told me I would be stopped and ticketed and was real adamant about it until I told her I was a police officer and it was not against the law to have a regular pickup plate on a pickup with a flatbed. Your milage may very but take this question to the ones that write the tickets not the clerks pushing pencils.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand everyones concerns about stopping ablity but any truck of any size isn't going to stop as well as a empty truck. Bottom line is you've got to know enough about your equipment and driving skills with any load you haul. This is more important than how much you load your rig because you won't haul more than you know is safe for you and your rig. IMO this means your max weight can be a wide range.

I've hauled loads in excess of 150,000 (legally) and it's like trying to stop a freight train. If that same minivan everybody's talking about get's in your way it's toast. like I said, you've got to know your abilities.

I've hauled loads in excess of 150,000 (legally) and it's like trying to stop a freight train. If that same minivan everybody's talking about get's in your way it's toast. like I said, you've got to know your abilities.
You ever see the size of some of the trucks here in Michigan?
we have some that the tare wt is close to the 80,000 max of most other states! back to the original question. Load it rite, maintain the hauling equipment properly, drive it safely and have fun. oh and take lots of pics!