• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

have a m925 but a m917 or ?

ger84

Hi all- Currently I have a M925a2. Great vehicle however looking to use this truck a little differntly. mods?
-I need a dump (which I am thinking of get modified to be a dump) (I know it can only hold half of what a normal m917 can hold....)
-be able to tow but it doesn't have a Jake Brake which makes me weary on towing and hauling especially in the hills that I live around in NJ. (can't find a jake brake for this application and then a $ install)
-I like the m917 but with that cat trans 16 speed- semi-auto model d-7155 overdrive I am weary of since nobody can work on it. (just replace it $) I like the tag axle for extra hauling and the 8x6 option. I have not seen any trucks with the automatic transmission...( Allison HD4070 is the 7 speed) I know that the cat trans lets the truck go fast but I don't need fast. I don't want issues.

Anyone have ideas?

Thinking of a HET m1070 and modifiying to have a dump bed. I also like that it can hold more that 2-3 ppl in the truck but not a deal breaker... (like i said not looking to go fast but reliable to and from and tow and haul anything) but.... also heard that with the M1070 the portal axles can heat up and that the air suspension has to be tuned up to be able to use as a dump truck but also worrysome as unstable with the airbag suspension...

Want to keep with the military version type vehicle- Don't want to break the bank-

I really want to be able to haul easily-

I know I can get a normal dump truck (i have a cdl lic) but common there has to be a good option out there....

Thanks for any options and ideas and thoughts...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
917s are going on 45 years old and never got overhauled. The Cat transmission cannot be relied upon. As far as high cy dump trucks, there are no real military options for something that doesn’t need a huge amount of upgrades and overhaul.

ger84

917s are going on 45 years old and never got overhauled. The Cat transmission cannot be relied upon. As far as high cy dump trucks, there are no real military options for something that doesn’t need a huge amount of upgrades and overhaul.
if the cat trans was able to be serviced anywhere i wouldn't be hesitant....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Freightliner made an M917A1/A2 for the military, but they are hard to find and will be very costly IF you can find one. I'd plan to spend at least $30K for one, but almost certainly more.

ger84

Freightliner made an M917A1/A2 for the military, but they are hard to find and will be very costly IF you can find one. I'd plan to spend at least $30K for one, but almost certainly more.
Yeah. I have not found one like that…. Hence why I am thinking to go with the het m1070…

ger84

Your best bet would be a m920a0e1. Has the 7 speed allison and high payload. Then put a dump body on it. The truck already has a wet kit so shouldn't be a huge deal. Has 400hp, jake brakes, 4 axles, rugged suspension, ext. @simp5782 may have one for sale but not sure. Harder to come by but not impossible.
Agreed. Hard to find…. I will reach out to that member. Thx

ger84

Call c&c equipment. They made one before and said it was terrible and super unstable.
Yeah I called them to build me one and they said they were not interested…. However there is a person on SS who built one and he said it’s been great for him….
Talked to another person with a het and told me that the axle/portals on the truck will heat up. I don’t know what to do. Hence why I made a thread and curious what everyone else has an idea about….

DeMilitarized

That have 3 or 4 hets on the lot and said in their videos that they will do basically anything to them so if they are not interested in making you one then that should be a sign.

Reactions: rtk

ger84

Yeah I called them to build me one and they said they were not interested…. However there is a person on SS- Tatra813 who built one and he said it’s been great for him….
Talked to another person with a het and told me that the axle/portals on the truck will heat up. I don’t know what to do. Hence why I made a thread and curious what everyone else has an idea about….

ger84

That have 3 or 4 hets on the lot and said in their videos that they will do basically anything to them so if they are not interested in making you one then that should be a sign.
Hear ya. But they have a flatbed one now and a tow truck version. Also talked to a member who drove in army with a tanker het m1070 with no baffles and not a problem staying on the road…. Who knows. Thx

smoke

What about m929 or a m8 series dump? M929 you could get a exhaust brake for it. I know it not a jake but better than nothing. The m8 series would be a manual 5 spd but could put a jake on it since has 855ci cummins in it.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about m929 or a m8 series dump? M929 you could get a exhaust brake for it. I know it not a jake but better than nothing. The m8 series would be a manual 5 spd but could put a jake on it since has 855ci cummins in it.
Wouldn't the first version of the M929 and the A1 variant come with the NHC-250 that could have jakes added on?

ger84

Army had these 6x4 Paystar dumps back in the 70s. 400 Cummins with Allison. Maybe you can find one that isn’t trashed.
Yeah saw that version however the gvw is not as high as a tri-a
so the m929 I think is the same everything except a dump…. The m8 I believe has same towing and hauling amount….

ger84

Yes. I forgot all about the first version m929 and a1 have 250 in it. I was fixed on the a2 version.
hear ya- I have a m925a2. I also had a m35a2. Deuce was awesome but just not enough power unless going 5 mph. I would never get to where i need to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks