• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

headlight upgrade

rsh4364

Hella 003427291 or sylvania silver stars, I have the hellas on my 79 Malibu and love them,Sylvanias last approx. 150 hrs. and you replace whole unit, hellas you replace bulb, hellas 90 bucks..syls. 45 bucks...advice or experiance...?

prairie

The single best headlight upgrade is a headlight relay wiring harness, such as this one from LMC Truck Parts
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=70.

It will increase the voltage to the bulb for brighter lights, and greatly reduce the load on the old, weak and inadequate wiring. This should be done first before any other upgrade, CUCV's are notorious for fried wiring and melted fuse blocks due to the poor headlight wiring.

See the CUCV Headlight Circuit Sticky http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?87544-CUCV-Headlight-Circuit

I've done the Sylvania Silver Stars on three vehicles, two with original wiring, and one with the headlight relay modification.
While it is a huge upgrade over OEM headlights, lamp life leaves something to be desired, especially with the relay modification. I am sure better options are available.

The following web site gives some info on Sylvania's automotive lighting
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/default.aspx#

I am personally looking at the following headlights, http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744 , with the 75/70 Osram Hyper Bulbs.

99% of my night time driving is done on gravel and dirt roads with, at best, occasional oncoming traffic.
We live in a rural area, and the local law enforcement doesn't know or care about DOT approved lighting, as long as it appears reasonable.

Does anybody have experience with these lamps or bulbs?

Poor lighting is one of my pet peeves, whether in the house, office, shop, or on the road!

Last edited:

Keith_J

Oh great, another upgrade I didn't know the M1031 needed. Headlights are nice and bright still, will do the relay mod for peace of mind.

85CUCVtom

Thanks ,gonna order headlight relay kit first, already fried 1 harness due to starter runaway,not going to take any chances! then decide on lights..
I'm doing the same. My headlight fuse is hanging on by a thread in the fuse box. I'm replacing the harness under the dash before I start upgrading headlights.

I have had Silverstars before. They are nice lights.

CUCVSRK

I am looking for new headlights too and I think I'm going with the silver stars the seem to be pretty good over all

rsh4364

after you add the hellas it kinda modernizes the frnt end ,makes the turn signal/park light,sidemarker lights look ugly,I just ordered LMC 37-7409,37-4593 and new tailight lenses also...

Anubis8472

Not to high jack a thread but im curious my lights just go out on my m1008 every once in while will the harness from LMC solve that or do i need to go a diffrent route
Is it just one headlight?
Both at the same time?

It's common to see the connector at the headlight get pretty corroded and start to loose contact periodically.
(Only one headlight comes on, you go 'thump' the other and it pops on)

It's hard to say though. The LMC sets up a relay to run fresh power lines to the headlights, but it still utilizes all the old wiring as the controlling circuit.
It's worth trying, simply because it's worth doing anyway. The stock wiring will only be responsible for turning the lights on/off, no longer being required to power the lights.
Yet if you have a problem somewhere causing an open in your current circuit it will still effect the upgraded circuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks