• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating a M109

dk8019

Guys,

My M109 has no form of heat in the van body. I believe it once did, but it is no more. What should have been in there, and where could I purchase another one, or better yet, what is the best way to heat one of these?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the GI version used fuel (IE Diesel) for a heater, which would raise carbon monoxide levels if you were to try to sleep in it. Probably best to convert to some sort of heat pump, or electric resistance heating - check what is available at an RV store.

StreetbikeDepot

I have two 109's to pick up in kansas, one of them I may pull the box off of. It has a fuel heater in it, so it'll be up for grabs if you need it. May be a little while before I make it up there to pick them up, waiting on EUC's right now.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These images are from an M109 (doghead).

There is complete isolation between the heat source and blower, so no chance of CO poisoning unless there is a failure of some sort. The personnel heater in my 8x8 is fuel fired and it is located within the crew area with exhaust and air intake outside.
Model number: Stewart & Warner 10530A24 NSN 2540-00-113-4180 30,000 BTU

Attachments

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just installed a wall mounted propane heater from northern tools, it only cost $100.00.I am going to use it to heat my M109 camper.

jasonjc

The stock heater that is used in the truck will work when driveing. And it puts out a lot of heat. Plus it uses the same fuel as the truck, so you do not need to take extar fuel.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
John:
Check the owners manual and cautions I think those are for open areas where the air can bring in fresh oxigen. I know the catalytic heaters are ventless but you must have an open tent flap to use it. When it is cold you do not want to keep having to wake up to turn it on and off to keep from getting CO poisoning.

Davd are those heat/cool units or heat only? Also are the diesel engines in them air or water cooled and what heating or if they have them cooling systems are on them, ie BTU and fuel consumption rates?

dk8019

I looked at one over at northern tool, they do have an oxygen depletetion circuit, and I suppose I could run the exhuast fan on the deuce at the same time, and crack a window to make sure the oxygen stayed in good shape, but I would like it to run off diesel, why add another tank to it if it's not required?

t120r

heater

I have an M109a2 here is what i did. There is the standard heater for the front cab mounted in the front. Then I mounted an M151 heater at the transmission top cover. Then in the back of van body another M151 heater set up front on the floor. I 12 volt power for low speed and 24volt power for high speed. Works real good.

I also have a heater (gas) mounted under my stove. It hardly uses much gas.
i will heat up in about 10 minutes

T120R
Md.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks