• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating a S280

Aernan

I'm in the early phases of designing a box for the back of M1078. Has anyone looked into the webasto electro or diesel based heaters?

This may be a bit complex for your use but here are my current (crazy/rough) ideas:

Webasto Diesel powered block heater (with water pump). It preheats the engine and can make cabin air hot quickly. Connect that to an in floor water circuit through a heat exchanger so there is no risk in losing engine coolant. Connect the hot water in the box to a simple radiator with an electric fan so I can heat the air quickly.

I plan on making hot water for showering/sink so I will have an electric instant hot water heater which I would also like to connect to the hydronics in some way.

I imagine pulling into camp and pumping the heat out of the engine circuit into the box. From there using diesel and if necessary electricity to heat the box while the engine is off. All combustion happens out of the box so there should be no risk of CO build up.

I have no idea how feasible/complex/expensive this idea is. :)

NATCAD

How about one of these:

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_cat/diesel-heaters/

• Requires 3” diameter chimney parts.
  • Minimum 4ft or maximum 8ft of chimney is required, a 6ft straight run with no elbows work best.
  • Chimneys 6ft or longer we highly recommend a barometric damper.
  • Permanent fresh air vent needed in area of the unit.
  • Decorative laser cut valve cover.
  • Creates a dry heat to dry out moisture inside the vessel.
  • In sailboat installations, this unit must face fore or aft, if facing port or starboard is desired, the valve would need to be mounted to the side of the unit so the gravity fed valve won’t starve the burner on heels up to 15 degrees.
  • 12v draft assist fan included (can be converted to 24v and 32v). Used for start up and draft assistance on high fire.Fan Wiring Diagram
  • Valve is calibrated for diesel but can be re-calibrated for kerosene or stove oil.
  • 1 turn hot water coil for 5-10 gal can be installed for water heating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks