• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help locating a HEMTT - are they out there yet?

dma251

I sold my Deuce and now I'm sure missing it. I am getting ready to start my search for my next big toy and I want to go REAL big this time. Are there any HEMTT's out there yet?

I know the price is gonna be up there, but are these even available to the public yet? What is the best route for finding one?

Any advice? (I got the CDL, so that's not an issue.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted Hils in Dothan AL had a few. Might be sold by now. He advertises in MV Magazine. Member Bruce Kubu has one and I'm told it's much nicer that the one currently in use. He had a second that he sold. He might know of more. They are out there for sure but depending on what configuration, expect to spend a minimulm of $30,000 and thats the low estimate.

jblueep

Holy Cow! Now that's a truck. Guys, I think I'm officially addicted to these MVs now. What have got myself into? ;)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expect to pay $45K and up. A decent looking wrecker (that still needed a bunch of stuff) brought $31K on GL recently. That's $31,000 for a truck that you can't even test drive or hear run (the motors are as scarce as hen's teeth...don't let the fact that the same motor was used in commercial trucks fool you...all of the peripherals are different). There was also an M977 cargo on GL that had been rolled. Much of the truck was damaged and that truck brought in the neighborhood of $15-17K. They are out there, but they are rare and expensive.

Bruce

Olney, MD
-----

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977 HEMTT
1988 M105A2
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1963 M332 (3)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goiod luck finding one, then good luck finding parts if you need them................. Go for a 5 ton if you want something you can maintain and find parts for.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having had much experience with HEMMTTs in Korea (fuelers and cargos) I can tell you that they are an amazing vehicle. I can also tell you that they ride like an oxcart, will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank and they slide like hell when when you slam on the brakes running empty on a hot road. My main gripe is with the Detroit Diesel V-8 engine. It is a bitch to crank in cold weather, slobbers when it idles for a long time, vibrates like hell and is very heavy. If they had put the 60 Series Detroit in it it would have been a great truck. We had some that were "hanger queens" due to the fact that the transmissions constantly went out. It was nice to have the crane on back but a lot of them stayed broke too. We hauled a lot of tank track (I was in a tank battalion) that was heavy and the ones that ran good never noticed the load was back there. I agree with the above posters that if you find one in good shape it will cost you a bundle and nickle and dime you to death. Good luck. 2cents

m.walker

I see the cabs on GL all the time I'm wondering where they all go ? Alot are sold but whats done with them after that ? People use them for projects , I'd like 1 good cab with doors , the rest I think I got !

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of them are used by off road companies, like loggers and construction companies, the couple dozen in service. They aren't too common, because most are still in active/reserve duty service, and those that aren't used are used for parts sources for the good ones. Generally, the ones being auctioned off are needing a lot of repair, parts, etc., and need to be put back together. If you find a HEMTT or an LVS recovery vehicle, buy it, at most any price under 60K, as they are worth it if you have a serious job to task it with.

Here's an LVS wrecker for sale in Manassas, VA, nice shape, with a boom crane and everything, $50,000 obo.

http://www.tanks2go.com/for_sale/lvs.htm

grey_ghost_03

I was at Ted Hils back in January. He had two or three one was only residue though. His contact info is :
Ted Hils
Ted's Trucks 'N Stuff
1181 County Road 560
Midland City, AL 36350
334-983-1092
Mon-Fri, 8-5 CST

He will be back in the office on august 7 2006..

NEIOWA

wreckerman893 said:
My main gripe is with the Detroit Diesel V-8 engine. It is a bitch to crank in cold weather, slobbers when it idles for a long time, vibrates like hell and is very heavy. If they had put the 60 Series Detroit in it it would have been a great truck.
And if my aunt had a ...... Apples to cornflakes. Or maybe of the new born to a great uncle.

The two cycle Detroit is now a 60+ year old engine and hundreds of thousands (or millions) are still produtively working. All it's contemporary competitors have long sense faded away Who will be using or even remember the 60 series in 2050? What do you suppose the multiple of ton miles haul would be for the two cycles vs the 60 series in truck, marine, rail use. 100000 to 1?

DOD has a HUGE investment in training and parts for the 8V92 that they weren't/aren't going to throw away anytime soon. Particularily as the engine is pretty much capable of doing anything required of it and DOD hasn't had kissing the rear of the the dang EPA. Note 8V92 is also in the PLS

M35guy

So basically you're willing to pay a lot of money for a truck that it soundsl like they still need to work all the bugs out of? IMO, they shoulda just stuck a CAT motor and really big manual tranny in there and it would do just fine probably.

spicergear

The 10 wheel versions, astonishing to me, are ROCKETS!!! I was in awe of the power and get up and go of that monster! The auto trans cranked through without and shift lag and the whole truck was just a tight feeling machine.

Jones

Then just wait 'til you get your hands on an A3. Oshkosh takes in tired HEMTTs, does a frame up rebuild and sends them out the door as brand new A3s. (Probably why so few HEMTTs have hit the market)
No trans, transfer case, driveshafts. Just AC motors that bolt directly to the differentials.
No wet-cell batteries either; everything, including engine start is handled by a big capacitor bank.
The strangest thing to get used to is the relative steady engine RPMs in relation to varying road speeds. "Shifting" ("Taking Transition") is done electronically by changes in traction motor current delivery. I'm no electronics expert, but I think the sequence is; All in series to start, then 1&2 axles in series - parallel to - 3&4 axles in series, then parallel - series to - parallel, and finally, all in parallel at stop speed. For acceleration the capacitors pitch in for additional current requirements; on decceleration, traction motors act like big generators, retarding vehicle speed and recharging the capacitor bank. Any electrical work... just discharge the capacitors, do any required maintenance without fear of shock or shorts, recharge capacitors with a genset when done.

M1075

I love my M1075 PLS 10x10 with Detroit 8V92TA and Allison Combo! With a GCVW of 135,000# it will go ANYWHERE, do ANYTHING.

CCATLETT1984

HEMTT A3

ProPulse Series Hybrid Powered:
Engine: 400 HP Cummins ISL Diesel
Generator: Marathon 305KW
(200KW exportable power)
Energy Storage: 1.5 MJ Ultra-capacitors
Drive Motors: Moog – 460 VAC
Frame: Rectangular Tube
Suspension: Oshkosh TAK-4/Variable Height
Axle Gearing: 2-speed Gearing with Planetary Wheel Ends
Brakes: Air Disc with ABS