• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me prove that deuce fits in garage

blacktop_one

My wife doesn't believe me that a deuce will fit in a standard home garage (windshield folded down, exhaust stack removed, etc, with a 7' high door). I've seen the specifications and measured my garage so I know it'll fit. Anybody have a picture they can share showing this? Thanks in advance - almost got her convinced to "let" me have one.

armytruck63

It's the overall length that might get you even if you can reduce the height. If I remember correctly, a winch-equipped M35A2 is 22.5 feet long.

roscoe

My f350 barely fits with the front bumber inches from the door and the rear bumber inches from the garage door. I'm thinking no way on length if my garage is normal size.:cry:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I tried, couldn't find it. It IS out there though. Have you looked throught the pics on the "old site"?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Any particular reason it must be in the garage blacktop?
Zoning / ordinance? Or does the wifey just want it to be hidden?

Is there a standard garage size? I've had several houses with attached garages and every darn one was a different size!!

I can certainly understand any / all the above.:roll:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd tell her it doesn't need to fit in the garage, that you aren't afraid of the neighbors knowing of your OD addiction, and that you're ready to "come out of the closet" (garage) with it.

On a more realistic note....
Some garages are built to minimal dimensions while others are much more generous. I once owned a home with a two-car garage with storage, One bay was just 20' deep, while the other was 28' deep. the doors were a FULL 10' wide, and 9' tall. A duece would fit in the deep bay without even having to grease it up to slide it in, and surely wouldn't bottom-out in the deep hole.

Simply put....
Print the specs, and have your bride help with the tape measure!

Good luck!

..... And remember.....
"A woman convinced against her will is of the same conviction still!"

Or in lay terms....
You may win the battle, but YOU will be sleeping in that garage for a while, instead of in the nice warm bridal suite.

Last edited:

Westex

I just 'etched' the superstucture of a car wash this afternoon with the exhaust stack. They're tougher than I thought. The exhaust stack, that is.

jimm1009

I put mine in just once to prove it to my self.

The door is 9 wide x 8 tall. The upper part of the stack had to come off and the upper portion of the hardtop but the windshield stayed up.

The mirrors also wer folded in some too. This is a stock truck with 9;00 x 20 NDCC tires. Length is an issue. I cleared by 2 inches at the most.

jimm1009

blacktop_one

The homeowner's association covenants say that I can have anything I want if it fits in the garage with the door closed. I checked the length and I can fit one in (if it doesn't have a winch) and still get into my workshop at the back of the garage. I took the wife with me to Ft Sam on Monday to preview some trucks and she's warming to the idea. I told her my mid-life crisis is going to be a deuce or a younger woman - her choice. She chose the deuce, but drew the line when I showed her the 5 ton trucks!

hellrayzor1

Living in Arizona it gets pretty hot outside so the first thing I did when I bought my deuce was get ot the tape measure and compare the truck to my garage space. Width and height was no big deal but my garage is about 6 inches too short in depth :( .....Tried figuring out if i could take a lil off the deuce or add a lil to the garage. No luck without some massive reconstruction of either one :(

Mark (deuce newbie)

LanceRobson

Deuces were designed back in the bad old days of having to load trucks on ships as hold cargo. It's only about 20 years ago we stopped planning on reducing the height of some equipment to minimum cubic volume to deploy them over seas. We even did our initial planning to deploy for Desert shield using reduced height figures. Thank God for RORO (roll on, roll off) ships!

As designed, the deuce windshield folds and the exhaust stack is segmented to reduce the height to the normal minimum height with the steering wheel being the tallest part. Removing the steering wheel before backing the last few feet gets you several more inches. We sometimes had to plan on removing them before the crane swung them aboard.

Most garages have a lip to climb as transition from the driveway to the garage floor slab. When backing in, that has the advantage of the tallest part (the steering wheel) being a few feet into the garage before the front wheels make that climb. It should buy you a few inches of grace in height.

Lance

Carl_in_NH

Width is the killer; mine is about an inch too wide for the standard door; got the depth, and there's just enough height to clear - if the driver ducks down. It's a No-Go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks