• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!!! Need Pulled Out of the Mud - (houston) Pasadena, TX

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i called when my m816 was down stuck.. com wrecker company told me off road recovery was 450.00 per hour.. i too did the lava rocks and timbers they do work:ditto:2cents:p

dmetalmiki

absalutely not

dust7..Not from a movie (well I never saw it) I have carried out EXACTLY this proceedure in the British Army as a revovery mech. (active service). And I must have done it at least 6 or 7 time here in the U.K. with many of my past collection exploits. (I mind once long ago (60s) bogging down on "Ilkley Moor" A Vast expanse of VERY lonley BOGGY peat type terrain in a SCAMMELL 6x6 and that's H E A V Y!..took 2 days (well all one day and 1/2 the night in freezing mist!) only my jeep to get "tackle" to the scene. HA! tackle?? (I hear you say..) only tackle was spades shovels picks matocks a roadplate and gunplanks. SO it WAS on the ground (so what) that's the HARD work part. ok. We dug down (yes into the cold water) and THEN placed a steel sand runner and two sleepers crosswise under the front AND jacked that 13 ton load up and chocked it. After filling we place gun planks all the way back (proceedure previose to you) and drove it back. ( yeah....back once ..we HAD to do it TWICE (all over all round) before I drove clear back the way it had gone in and onto better terrain. DO NOT lose heart and get despondant...IF you had experience of this type of recovery It would be less daunting..just TAKES TIME method and persistance. The winch is not crappy..the poundage was FAR exeeded. (without blocks.) Deuce in thick mud / bog ground factor (at least) 2 1/2 times + rollong resistance + safety factor = shear pin NO CHANCE.:: ((if you had snatch blocks and wire lengths , it would need at keast a 6:1 compound direct pull. the winch would stand that ..BUT remember the "thing" it is all achored to must be able to stand a 12+ton pull" or you will be the anchor! Sounds like if you had done the (or do he prceedure) you WOULD move it out of there. (epecially as it wwas moving? before pin shear) just replace the pin and PREPARE THEN WINCH it out of there. it will come. GOOD LUCK. keep us posted...P.S. Just to show..found an old pic I had from years back as mentioned.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dust7..Not from a movie (well I never saw it) I have carried out EXACTLY this proceedure in the British Army as a revovery mech. (active service). And I must have done it at least 6 or 7 time here in the U.K. with many of my past collection exploits. (I mind once long ago (60s) bogging down on "Ilkley Moor" A Vast expanse of VERY lonley BOGGY peat type terrain in a SCAMMELL 6x6 and that's H E A V Y!..took 2 days (well all one day and 1/2 the night in freezing mist!) only my jeep to get "tackle" to the scene. HA! tackle?? (I hear you say..) only tackle was spades shovels picks matocks a roadplate and gunplanks. SO it WAS on the ground (so what) that's the HARD work part. ok. We dug down (yes into the cold water) and THEN placed a steel sand runner and two sleepers crosswise under the front AND jacked that 13 ton load up and chocked it. After filling we place gun planks all the way back (proceedure previose to you) and drove it back. ( yeah....back once ..we HAD to do it TWICE (all over all round) before I drove clear back the way it had gone in and onto better terrain. DO NOT lose heart and get despondant...IF you had experience of this type of recovery It would be less daunting..just TAKES TIME method and persistance. The winch is not crappy..the poundage was FAR exeeded. (without blocks.) Deuce in thick mud / bog ground factor (at least) 2 1/2 times + rollong resistance + safety factor = shear pin NO CHANCE.:: ((if you had snatch blocks and wire lengths , it would need at keast a 6:1 compound direct pull. the winch would stand that ..BUT remember the "thing" it is all achored to must be able to stand a 12+ton pull" or you will be the anchor! Sounds like if you had done the (or do he prceedure) you WOULD move it out of there. (epecially as it wwas moving? before pin shear) just replace the pin and PREPARE THEN WINCH it out of there. it will come. GOOD LUCK. keep us posted...P.S. Just to show..found an old pic I had from years back as mentioned.
Thank you, Sir, for that excellent explanation.
Congrats on a job (long ago) well done [thumbzup] and for a posting that pic, also. :-D
Glad you chaps are on our side :driver:

Amtracker

I remember reading when this was first posted that the link went to a scanned document circa 1950s-60s. Clicking on the link just goes back to a list of current threads. There's even one page from this later in the thread.

Can you repost the document/ link?

You run the winch cable under the truck and pull yourself backwards. Not the best choice, as you can tear something up. And it puts alot of strain on the winch.

Some good reading and you should keep a copy in your vehicle

Steel Soldiers

oldMan99

I remember reading when this was first posted that the link went to a scanned document circa 1950s-60s. Clicking on the link just goes back to a list of current threads. There's even one page from this later in the thread.

There appears to be a problem with the software the board uses. I was going to post the link for you as it is in the "Resources" section of this site. However, when I went to go to the resources (any of the choices) they all sent me back to the main listing op current postings.

The site was down for several hours today, possibly that has something to do with this issue. Hopefully it will get resolved soon by those with the magic juju to do so..

And while I'm mentioning "Those with the magic juju" let me take a brief opportunity to thank those that make this site possible, both those in the administration and those in the technical departments... THANKS GUYS!

KsM715

That would be for FM (field manual) 20-22 vehicle recovery.

Google FM 20-22 and you should be able to find a copy since the old site with the TM's is down.

Edit: here you go. http://www.archive.org/details/Fm20-22VehicleRecoveryOperations

On the left side of the page is a list, click on the pdf file and you can down load the manual.

Last edited:

Amtracker

I'm aware of this document, but the one I'm talking about is in color with more a more "storybook" style, complete with cartoonized snatch blocks and informal language, not the same TM/ FM language. As a matter of fact, you posted a sheet of it on 12-28-10 at 22:15.

I'd like to have both.

That would be for FM (field manual) 20-22 vehicle recovery.

Google FM 20-22 and you should be able to find a copy since the old site with the TM's is down.

Edit: here you go. FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations : DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

On the left side of the page is a list, click on the pdf file and you can down load the manual.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

2 tricks when in swampy muck situations.
1 always carry a couple CO2 fire extinguishers. Use them to firm up and somewhat freeze the muck around the tires. Yes it actually helps.
2. always keep a bucket of hydrualic cement on hand. It dries fast, makes a fast ramp that holds up to the weight.

Just happend to have both in my personal truck when I had the deuce stuck just a little ways down the mud pit road. Awww but my engineering mind thought about it and I cant believe it worked either.

Now my trucks all have winches on them. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks