• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! No brakes in m35a2!

dutchguy

Does it have the correct brake fluid in it ? and not D.O.T. 5 and D.O.T. 3 mixed ?
Has the break fluid even been checked?

edit:
dutchguy saftey is a priority on this site .
Point taken. And agreed with. SS has been an invaluable resource for me, just to be clear. Just seems like the newbs take a beating sometimes. "Private Dutchguy" out!

DeucesWild11

Same thing happened to me, driving my deuce all was well then all four rims were dragging, turned out to be the Airpack. I just posted my rebuild recently. I am still having the rears dragging a little but I think it's just out of adjustment now. Check to see if you are leaking any fluid out the "slobber tube" in the engine compartment. (big tube hanging down just behind the primary fuel filter. Mine was spitting out brakefluid. As others have said READ THE TM's they will help you learn about your new truck..

Here's the link if you want to attempt the rebuild..
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/82753-my-airpack-rebuild-photos.html

Good luck!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just seems like the newbs take a beating sometimes. "Private Dutchguy" out!
This could be an interesting post by itself: Who has the oldest-read the rules/manuals post. (I know my very first thread in May 2004, I got it back then).aua

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is it too much to ask that people read the forum rules? that's usually where the unfriendly post result from. not in this case.

Since this has come up again... I read this site regularly for info on these vehicles. Some of you all are just EMBARRASSING!
Most of you are reasonable and polite. A few don't seem to know how to maintain an air of respectability. However this is grossly disrespectful to the Steel Soldiers web site's reputation.
For those that cannot control themselves. If you all won't respect the SS web site KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF.

The first poster (Price 3949) said his problem became apparent while the vehicle was being driven. Obviously his problem appeared AFTER he was down the road a ways. But the usual few started pounding him, as though he knew before he started out that his brakes would fail.

I don't understand why several posters here, that read a post about any type of brake issue, start out their comments by balling up their "posting fists" and abusing the guy like there is no tomorrow, in insulting and rude ways, (doesn't the *** and **** ect mean you are also swearing at them??) instead of POLITELY helping the guy out.
Being rude and insulting on this site HARMS it's reputation!

When someone asks for help you DON'T start by kicking them in the teeth a few dozen times!! :?::?::?: :):popcorn::!:

e

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like it's time to pull the wheels and drums and do a complete brake inspection . Along with fixing the releasing problem , which cause them to over heat , the condition of the drums and brake linings should be checked for heat cracking . It's a new to him truck so it may have happened before .

rlwm211

A diagnosis before a complete disassembly would be wise. You want to know what is wrong before you change a whole lot of stuff.

A thorough PMCS (Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services) is in order and I am sure the OP (Original POster) will be doing that soon.

Any further information on the brake problem would help one of us in leading you to the correct solution.

price3949

Thanks most of you for the very helpful suggestions. I dont know why some of you need to be ruder than others but that is ok i can take it. I was trying to drive it from Jacksonville fl to Tallahassee fl and it didnt make it very far and I could not afford the tow. The dealership that i bought it from said they would take it back and return my money so i did that. But now i dont know where to get a different one...Where did you guys get yours??

If you are planning to buy another read the TM's before hand and assemble the tools and materials to recover the truck. Even if the truck has bee gone over before hand it could still have problems at any time. Learn the vital systems how they work, basic repair, and trouble shooting. This will save time and money as well as keep you and the people around you safe. If you understand how the brake system on the deuce works you will be better able to handle a brake failure. More likely to pick up on signs that the brakes are not functioning properly and on the verge of failing.

Safety should be priority number 1. Remember just because you can afford to buy a Deuce, that doesn't mean you have the money, time, or knowledge to maintain them. And if thats the case then let it sit till you do, or get rid of it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't mind, what did a dealer sell it for? Was it a winch truck or no? You can find alot of them around Atlanta. As mentioned above, try Clinto or Twright.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks