• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please idiot lights all out

mikestang89

Headlights dimming and getting brighter while driving?

I am having a problem with the headlights dimming and getting brighter while driving. Belts are all tight, connections are clean, drivers side alternator looks new. Im at a loss, help please.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your voltage on the battery and Gen1. One or both may be bad.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. It handles the 12v portion of the truck and feeds the front battery.

The TMs have a great troubleshooting section for the charging system.

You have download the free manuals haven't you?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to say your GEN1 needs a rebuild. You should be able to tell after checking the voltage output

M1008driver

You can use a Duralast/Alternator DL7157 on the DS only because it does not need to have a isolated ground or a Wilson Electrical, Part Number: WIL 90014277 that does have a ground, but is expensive. PS must have the isolated ground.

You can buy a rebuild kit from CUCV Electric and you can buy an alternator off EBAY. I used rareelectrical and my original is being rebuilt for a spare sometime soon from the kit I mentioned which has better parts for the rebuild.

All this information is available many times over with a forum search.

EDIT- Does you Gen lights come on when you turn the key? They have to work for the alt to charge right.

GEN 1 and GEN 2 Lights. On all models except the M1010 Ambulance, generator lights come on when ignition key is in the “ON” position, but before engine is started. After engine starts, lights should go out and remain out. If either or both lights remain on after engine starts, press accelerator and let engine return to idle. If lights remain on or come on during operation of truck, IMMEDIATELY SHUT DOWN ENGINE and notify your supervisor. M1010 Ambulance has no generator warning lights.
I guess your supervisor will be your wife...honey I need some more money. :shock:

Last edited:

cpf240

My gen2 light comes on when key in on positition, no gen1 light though.
Both Gen lights should come on in the "run" position, and then go out once they start working, which usually requires a tap on the accelerator.

I'd start following the trouble-shooting guide in the TMs. You do have a good multimeter, don't you? :) It could be as simple as a blown bulb in the Gen1 indicator.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having a problem with the headlights dimming and getting brighter while driving. Belts are all tight, connections are clean, drivers side alternator looks new. Im at a loss, help please.
Have you checked and cleaned the terminals at the headlamps themselves?

mikestang89

Well found another strange problem, the gen1 and 2 lights and the oil light are not coming on with the key in the on position however when the truck is running and I put it in 4 hi the 4wd light comes on and the gen1 light comes on?? Im at a loss.

Skinny

Regardless of what problem is causing this, I would pull the cluster and clean all connections including the twist bulb bases and anything else that has electricity running through it. I had so many issues with charging and bulbs functioning. Takes a while but you need to run some sandpaper across all connections.

mikestang89

Regardless of what problem is causing this, I would pull the cluster and clean all connections including the twist bulb bases and anything else that has electricity running through it. I had so many issues with charging and bulbs functioning. Takes a while but you need to run some sandpaper across all connections.

Was in the process of this untill the monsoons came,haha

mikestang89

***** EDIT ******

Combined threads as they are related.

A after scouring the tm's I am still at a loss. I am not very electrically inclined, but usually I can work my way through. This new to me CUCV is driving me nuts, with the key in the on position none of the lights come on however, when the truck is running the if I put it in 4wd the light comes on along with gen1. When truck is running the volt meter is in the green. Someone pls help.

Thanks
mike

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks