• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please idiot lights all out

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You say you cleaned the contacts. Which ones and how?

The 4x4 light, oil pressure light and the GEN1 bulb all share the same ground.

You do need to remove the cluster and clean it. You may have a broken contact on the circuit board.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html

When you do, you have to reach up under the dash and remove the electrical plug and the speedo cable. This task will try your patience each time you do it. The first time you WILL say a few choice words. Each additional time it will get better.

Also check and clean the ground wire for the dash harness. It is attached to the 6-prong "spider" connection just above the emergency brake.

Pic #2

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50551-cucv-switches-diodes-relays.html

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also with your GEN1 light not working, this is more than likely why your headlights are dimming. The alternator isn't working properly

mikestang89

Also with your GEN1 light not working, this is more than likely why your headlights are dimming. The alternator isn't working properly

I cannot thank your enough for how helpful you are. I got the cluster out and used a fine grit sandpaper to clean the connection for all the bulbs and the electrical plug in. Good news is now the low cooland light and seatbelt lights come on. I have another question, I have another ground on that 6 prong ground block under dash and have no idea what it is?

cucv1833

I cannot thank your enough for how helpful you are. I got the cluster out and used a fine grit sandpaper to clean the connection for all the bulbs and the electrical plug in. Good news is now the low cooland light and seatbelt lights come on. I have another question, I have another ground on that 6 prong ground block under dash and have no idea what it is?

Could be the seat belt buzzer ground. 1-for that and 1- for instrument cluster

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a picture of the wire. Also does it go into the harness or can you follow where it goes?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was checking you other posts. You have never told us what type of CUCV you have.

Most of your issues are all related. With each thread try to recap what has been done and what has been fixed. Helps us diagnose the problem.

I combined the threads as the issues are related.

Last edited:

cucv1833

Well thats another thing the guy I bought the truck from put aftermarket seats in and used harnesses instead of the factory belts however, I have never heard the buzzer go off.
Heres a thread on this page about the seatbelts, I pulled my buzzer out.
Do you have any pics of you CUCV and those seats?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/88271-what-should-come.html

I wish this was in the sticky section it always comes up and I usually revert back to it time to time.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also another small item.

No need to put "help" in your titles. We will help and we try to only use HELP when you are broken down on the side of the road. Kind of like 911

mikestang89

I appologize for the help thing, I am just getting very frustrated. The truck is an 85 m1009, I am working right now so I cant get a pic but that other wire on the ground goes to a smaller bundle that leads to the passenger side.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to applogize. Just a learning curve.

This site is not like most of the others.

We do try to have fun and fix alot of things.

mikestang89

Good news!! all lights in dash are working except the Gen2 light. Replaced all the fuses, cleaned connections, and made sure ground was clean. Warthog you sir are the man, if ever you find your way to GA steak dinner on me. Now for the gen2 light im going to go back and double check the connections any other advice?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a voltmeter?

The easiest way to check the GEN2 circuit is to remove the 2pin exciter plug from the alternator and check the voltage.

With the truck off.

Key off

red wire - 24v
brown wire - zero volts

Key on
red wire - 24v
brown wire - 24v

If you have these voltages, then the inside truck wiring is good. And you need to check the alternator. If not then the issue is with the inside wiring.

80% (guess) of the time the issue is with the plug itself. GM used some sort of grease that over the years turns into a black goo and makes the plug not work. A can of Electrical Contact Cleaner and an old toothbrush works wonders. If the plug needs to be replaced you can get them at most parts houses or CUCVElectric.com.

Check the voltage and see what you have.

mikestang89

No need, after polishing up the contacts for the bulb and plug I figured I would double check the fuses. Well the 30amp fuse was a dud pulled one out of my work van and bam gen2 light is now opperational. :beer: Now I can actually see what lights are coming on when my voltage spikes, I believe gen1 regulator is going out, time for a rebuild. On a side note the previous owner installed a stereo, I was wondering about swaping batteries around to keep from overcharging one, I believe I read something about that somewhere on here.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet the additional ground wire is going to the stereo. You might check that.

M1008driver

It is, I was wondering is there any benifit from haveing the glow plug heater on a switch? How exactly does this work also?
No. Some people do that, but I don't recommend it or you may have additional problems. I did install a button for emergencies only by splicing into the light blue wire going to the controller card under the dash. I never use it, but it does work. (first 2 pics below)

I would study and do the gp resistor bypass. Do a search as it is recommended. (pics 3-5 below)

I also would, and FIRST, do the doghead mod and make sure you use the part listed. It will save a stuck starter from burning up your wires which is costly. It may have been done, so you will have to look.

Attachments

mikestang89

From the CUCV Forums Stickies. (alot of good info there)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62477-gp-module-theory-operation.html

Sounds like someone has added to or bypassed the GP controller card.

Hope they didn't wire it wrong.

The GP controller card is bypassed actually the card is nonexistant, I believe the truck was from a member on here. ( atleast he said he was ) There is also something fairly new looking mounted above the gas pedal. I will try to snap some pics tomorrow. Now that all the lights are working I still have the problem of lights getting brighter and dimming while driving, I am almost positive that it is the regulator for gen 1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks