• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help removing lugnuts

waayfast

A "pork Chop" is a small but VERY useful tool when working with large truck lug(bud) nuts
The large end goes around the outer nut- the "hook" end gets placed in a hand hold and then use the square socket to run the nut of the "thimble". Just remember to reverse the air gun----.

Once you get your hands on the tool, all of the above info will become clear. Very simple very easy.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A "pork Chop" is a small but VERY useful tool when working with large truck lug(bud) nuts
The large end goes around the outer nut- the "hook" end gets placed in a hand hold and then use the square socket to run the nut of the "thimble". Just remember to reverse the air gun----.

Once you get your hands on the tool, all of the above info will become clear. Very simple very easy.
Hey, that's pretty cool; never seen one before.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken-tool 30609

And you'll need a 13/16" square drive socket.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had one do this a couple days ago. 1 out of 40... I changed all 11 tires on the M819.

I tried my geared lug wrench and was unsuccessful. Since the new tires were on rims, I left it for another day.

91W350

The geared lug wrench failed? Were you cranking it backwards? Inquiring minds want to know... I thought those things were lug nut magic....

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since it snowed 4 inches yesterday and today it's raining and blowing, I haven't attacked it again yet.

I will and I'll report back. It was difficult to hold the tire/rim and hold the geared lug wrench with the thimble and lug nut stuck.

Since the tire/rim was off the truck and I had 11 tires to do, I just used a new thimble and lug nut to keep moving along.

Z71

You should never use lubricant on the lug nut threads. The reason is, this greatly reduces the friction in threads and the lug nuts can be then overtightened and the studs can break.
About 90% of the applied torque goes toward overcoming the friction in the threads (dry) and that between the lug nut and wheel.

steelandcanvas

You should never use lubricant on the lug nut threads. The reason is, this greatly reduces the friction in threads and the lug nuts can be then overtightened and the studs can break.
About 90% of the applied torque goes toward overcoming the friction in the threads (dry) and that between the lug nut and wheel.
That argument has been going on for years. I use a torque wrench when tightening lug nuts, and have applied a paint line across the lug nut and stud, to indicate if the nut has had any movement. This method makes sure the nuts stay tight, and upon removal, everything comes apart as intended.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks