• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Stuck!! Trying to help came back to bite me!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm calling foul on this thread.

I think he's a troll.

No photos of the supposed wrecker. No photos of his buddy wrecking the SINGLE high lift jack.

Besides, I saw those photos of the 5 ton stuck LAST YEAR.

Don't feed the troll anymore.
You COULD be right, EXCEPT my good friend Phil owns the 5 ton that was stuck and the busted PTO shaft.

So if Phil says it's stuck, then it's F ing stuck man.

BarneysZoo is a good troop who has been out there, got stuck, broke his stuff and is going back for more. He asked me to drive up and help but I'll be working.

[thumbzup]

armytruck63

I know it's true.

I can believe the story. I have been affected by the same rain and rain and rain. See my story of my trip to the dump today under the "How Cold Is It Where You Live" thread.

Parts of Riverside have soil on top of bedrock that is close to the surface. When this stuff gets wet, watch out.

Here are some photos of a forklift I pulled out a few years ago with my duece. This was after almost a month WITHOUT rain. The forklift was not stuck nearly as bad as PropDr's deuce.

Attachments

Last edited:

oldMan99

The "Professional way"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrOkUBvpYY&feature=related[/media]

The "Homeowner way"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNLfyl9lrw[/media]

I think the "Homeowner way" might work for a MV size vehicle if you had 2 of them. Partial lift with one, switch to the other and go back and forth inflating in increments until you had max lift.

In really soft goo like your currently stuck in I think I would have a 1/2 sheet of 3/4 or 5/8 plywood to go under the bag to help keep it from sinking and get the maximum use of the bags.

You can get ordering info here:
the TITAN Air Jack: Chandler Products

The 2 ton unit is $120. (They did not list the prices for the other models, I guess you have to contact them for that.)

The prices for the professional bags start at over $1,000 and run up to over $5,000...EACH.

And then there is this option

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP53h5yrE48&feature=related[/media]

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm betting it's coming out in the morning. Phil is towing his W/W bobber there with his W/W 5 ton and I'm bringing my deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm betting it's coming out in the morning. Phil is towing his W/W bobber there with his W/W 5 ton and I'm bringing my deuce.
If the avatar tells us anything, your deuce has a winch as well. Take 6 or 9 snatch blocks and I just don't see the stuck truck winning the war here!

oldMan99

If the avatar tells us anything, your deuce has a winch as well. Take 6 or 9 snatch blocks and I just don't see the stuck truck winning the war here!
My thoughts exactly.... only add to the 6-8 snatch blocks: Lots of cable.

And WE WANT VIDEO...

Wait... Your not inviting the Fire Department to fly the truck out on the magic water carpet??? Drats.. I was really hoping to see video of that!!

Last edited:

littlebob

I should have been following this thread from day one but wasn't. My appology. Lots of info has been discussed and I see many folks are aware of proper techniques. FM 20-22 has a few more methods including de-trenching a truck which requires lifting. The one thing I can't believe anyone mentioned was moving weight or gaining flotatoin. Deuces are quite obviously nose heavy as we can see in the pics. There are 2 things we can do to increase the ability of the front to float. Floatation tires or less weight. Both can be accomplished with what you have there. Adding weight to the last section (3') of bed will lighten the front end. The more weight you add (dirt, rocks, water, wet earth) the lighter the front will get. The second option (and you can do both) is once the front end is dug out is to add duals to the front. Use a spare and an extra tire if you have them or strip them from one of the rear axles if you must. Steering is a pain but so is being stuck for days. This may not be the fixall but will aide in the recovery.

Might find some useful options from this too! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRGW6z3UQ[/media]
Have you tried Recovery's DUAL fronts yet. I've read it from the beginning(30min ago) and that idea came to me also. I had to leave an old Kubota tracter buried for a few months one time when I stuck in a swamp. I didn't need the tractor so for me it was no big deal to leave it till it dried up. It walked out of the hole it was in, after it dried up.

I never thought of using the pulling truck and two snatch blocks. Does this method still multiply the pulling force or does it simply spread the load over more cable?
See, now that's my question, too. I get the "dead anchor" method, that makes sense to me, even used it before, but the "floating anchor" method just doesn't seem plausible to me. Maybe I can't picture it in my head, but if both ends of the cable are rigged to the trucks (one to each truck), doesn't matter how many times they make the path loop between the two vehicles, it seems like it just spreads the load across an area and the pulling force is still 1:1. I'm not trying to be a retard, but I just can't see how the physics would work in that situation.:lost:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce DOES have a winch. Wish it had a PTO.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well thats to bad but the truck will still make a great anchor for the multiple winch anchor plan as long as they have enough cable and snatch blocks!
That's pretty much all I'm going for since I'm nursing a sore back too. No digging or heavy lifting.

I have the whole cable from my winch off in a big container - just can't lift it in the truck myself so I can't bring it.

I never bothered to start buying snatch blocks since I haven't bought a PTO yet.

My job will be to tie off to Phil and act as a safety observer. And shoot video.

Unforgiven

What do you mean by floating anchor? Something like this:

61340027.jpg

Or do you mean running the line through multiple snatch blocks located along the bumpers of both vehicles?

If it's the latter, the total force pulling (on both vehicles towards the center of the system) is going the be the tension in the cable multiplied by the number of individual runs between the two vehicles. That would be the same as using a multiple-pulley snatch block like in a mechanical engine hoist, simply spreading the individual pulleys out.

Here's an interesting class for S. Cal. people interested in recovery techniques:

The Adventure Duo: Brushing up on Recovery

Winch & Recovery Clinic

The guy purposely gets your vehicle stuck & shows you how to recover it using various methods.

Air bags scaled appropriately for the M35 would be ideal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7Tni99dlQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have checked my text messages before my computer - word is he is out.

That's all I know. Well that and I got up early on a day off to go up there, but that's all I know.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain Sir. I showed up at the GA Rally W/W W/O PTO. Could have used it too. I have until next month to install it!
You're farther along than I am. I need to BUY my PTO. And shaft. And bracket that holds the cab lever.

Then I can start the install clock ticking.

I do have a 50 dollar HF winch thing in the bed though. Pulls quads up the ramps fine. Not gonna be much use for unsticking anything.

So I hope the OP took pics of the recovery. Phil's text was from past midnight so I don't have any other details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks