• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with basic problems

crazywelder72

i will check into that. it's kind of hard for me to know what's good and bad. i have nothing to compare it to and i have no prior experience with trucks like this.

This will be my grocery getter, i figure i can park it right next to a prius. i have no places near where i live i can get her dirty so i think her main function will be to intimidate all the liberals on the roads where i live

sewerzuk

Nice looking truck!
Looks like there are 2 rams for the hydro steering? Must be using the vickers 5 ton pump. Don't let people whine about your hydro steering! It is not illegal, despite the rumors. Do, however, periodically inspect the health of the hoses, pump, fittings, rams, etc. One of those breaks and you won't have any control over your truck!
Also, I noticed that you have the A3's pushbutton light switch; carry a fire extinguisher with you! I have personally seen 2 of those literally catch fire, one of them started the under dash wiring harness on fire.

crazywelder72

i have hear about the a3 switch problem. i ordered my 3 lever switch yesterday. this truck came to me with me knowing that all the lights were not working. the first thing i was going to do was eliminate the new switch and see where its at. .... good pointer about checking those hoses. I wouldn't want this bad larry veering off course.

crazywelder72

Nice looking truck!
Looks like there are 2 rams for the hydro steering? Must be using the vickers 5 ton pump. Don't let people whine about your hydro steering! It is not illegal, despite the rumors. Do, however, periodically inspect the health of the hoses, pump, fittings, rams, etc. One of those breaks and you won't have any control over your truck!
Also, I noticed that you have the A3's pushbutton light switch; carry a fire extinguisher with you! I have personally seen 2 of those literally catch fire, one of them started the under dash wiring harness on fire.
I put my NOS 3 lever switch in today and i think every exterior light worked except my brake light. i didnt have time to look deep into it. my 7 year old daughter wants to keep the A3 switch in her room because it looks cool.. lol

separate of that i dont think the blinkers work.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The brakes are controlled by a switch either on the air-pack, or on an air line next to it. can you get us a pic?

The blinkers are controlled by a box on the driver side inner fender near the firewall. Let me see if I can find a pic. Many look like this, but not all.

Attachments

Last edited:

crazywelder72

thanks , i will try to take some pics tomorrow. is the switch at the steering wheel or the blinker box most likely to be the culprit?

when you said air-pack, were you talking about the twin air tanks under the trucks?

gimpyrobb

blinker controller under the hood is usually the cause, but sometimes it is the switch on the collumn or the wires to it.

The air pack is the thing under the master cyl and it should have a skid plate bolted to it(2 bolts) You'll probably have to take the palte off for us to see it.

sewerzuk

I put my NOS 3 lever switch in today and i think every exterior light worked except my brake light. i didnt have time to look deep into it. my 7 year old daughter wants to keep the A3 switch in her room because it looks cool.. lol

separate of that i dont think the blinkers work.
Did all of your lights work before you swapped the switch over? The signals and brake lights are actually a separate "gang" on the switch...so if they did work fine with the pushbutton one, then your lever switch may be the culprit...

Heavysteven

There manuals if you want to learn how to operate it. Also, I have seen to video's on YouTube going over most things, not the best but good beginner stuff.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q74Hkk0m4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

crazywelder72

Thanks for the video. The lights were all a mess when I got it with the push button switch. Only the rear running lights and the front BO lights would light up and they were on all the time.

gimpyrobb

Its not hard to do when you know whats going on. Post up a pic of the air pack and we'll go from there.

crazywelder72

will do. but in the meantime i have some questions about the 3 lever switch. the stop light... is that supposed to manually turn on the brake lights or does that have to be in the stoplight position so the brake pedal then activates the brake lights?

crazywelder72

since it's 20˚ out, i didnt do anything. all i did was try to check out the switch and lights quickly.

what i noticed about the blinker lever on the column is even tho it acts like its dead, if you have the blinker lever in a on position and flip the "service drive" switch to the "stop light" position, the green light on the blinker indicator flashes one time. at least its telling me there is some kind of signal or power going to it.

crazywelder72

does the fuel pump in the tank also control the fuel gauge? my gauge seems to read 1/2 full when power is on, and empty when off. it's not my main concern right now but i thought i would ask

crazywelder72

i'll have to look at it. the tank got hit pretty bad on the bottom near the drain plug, dented it up about 2-3"s. i was considering pulling the pump and using a metal pipe as a drift and jacking out the dent on the bottom. figured while i was in there i would look at whats messing with the fuel gauge info

gimpyrobb

Yeah, a good cleaning would be good. While its out/apart, I'd hook the sending unit up to the truck and cycle it through is range to seee if there is any "dead" spots. You could also hook up a DMM and see what the resistance values are so we know. Don't know why we would need to know, just that it would be nice to have.