• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with cab coolant heater & coolant filter install for M35A2

tcruwithme

In the summer of 2014, I relocated my coolant cab heater into the cab under the map compartment in my A2 like they have them in the A3 trucks. Here are a couple of pictures of what that looks like: Picture #2 is where the lines come into the cab, from inside the cab. Picture #2 is where the lines go into the cab, from the engine side.

20140905_165417[1].jpg 20140905_101135[1].jpg 20140905_101157[1].jpg

Later that same summer, I installed a Cummins Fleetguard heavy-duty coolant filter housing, bracket, and filter above the passenger side headlight. I have the coolant coming out of the top of the block and going into the coolant filter. It comes out of the coolant filter and goes back to the heater in the cab. It then returns to the bottom of the block. I've driven the truck a few times for a couple hours at a time, and the silicon heater hoses are doing fine where there are. Here are a couple of pictures of what that looks like:

20150321_160344[1].jpg 20150321_160410[1].jpg

I didn't drive my truck during the winter of 2015-2015, but I have driven it a couple times this December. I noticed that even when the truck warms up, the heater doesn't heat. The fan works fine (both high and low), but there is no heat output. My first thought is to bypass the coolant filter next weekend and take the truck for a drive. I wonder if the coolant filter introduces too much resistance against the flow of coolant fluid. Here's where I could use your experience and opinions.

I think I am using the correct ports on the block for the heater, but if you can confirm, that would be great.

If I can't put a coolant filter in series with the cab heater, where else can I plum the coolant heater into the system?

I'm not sure if I even know the right questions to ask here, so any thoughts you would like to share are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

sandcobra164

In picture number 5, the top hose is located above the thermostat. Remove the pipe plug just adjacent to the valve and plumb it below the thermostat. I wish I was a better searcher, there was a PS article that discussed this exact issue. Maybe Clinto or Doghead will come along, they do a great job linking stuff together.

tcruwithme

PS #461 Coolant Heater Instructions

Thanks for your quick response. Attached is the photo I found here on SS for the PS article that talked about this. It looks like I got the correct port, but I'm not sure ...

Pages_18_19_from_PS_Magazine_461_April_1991.jpg

In picture number 5, the top hose is located above the thermostat. Remove the pipe plug just adjacent to the valve and plumb it below the thermostat. I wish I was a better searcher, there was a PS article that discussed this exact issue. Maybe Clinto or Doghead will come along, they do a great job linking stuff together.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yes you have the correct ports. There is a very small metered orifice in the coolant filter base that doesn't allow much flow. That may be your problem. I have mine run separately. Hard to explain how, better with pics. I'll try later, but I feel awful lazy today...

tcruwithme

Sometimes the SS search doesn't do as well as Google. I did a Google search of SS and found a couple other threads. Bjorn from Crane Truck had success with a similar system, but he treated the filter as a bypass instead of running it inline with the heater. Here are a couple of the photos he posted in a different thread, and I'll rework mine like this next weekend. Thanks for your input everyone.

coolant filter loop.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks