• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with id'n a crane unit

MilitaryRestoration

I've talked to a few members already about this crane that I'm saving up the bucks for and I thank them very much for their time, opinions and help. However we still have not been able to get it id and there are no data plates on it. Does anyone recognize this crane unit or know any more information on it?

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
maybe a hiab 8001 off of a M983 tractor w/ crane? acording to the TM if that is what it is, it adds 7000lbs to the curbweight.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ya helps a little, except distorts a bit, but does help. Thank You.... anyone got any suggestions on the crane itself... I've spent hours n hours searching SS, google, primeportal, etc and nothing. :-/

I went back and cleaned them up a little more.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the FMTV crane looks like.
Joel, it's not a K-boom, so I'm 99% sure it's not a HIAB.

Edit: Added illustrations of crane from hemtt TM (M984) and MAN 10-ton truck. (Right click and open link in new window for hi res.)

Attachments

Last edited:

mudguppy

i was thinking that it looks a lot like the hemtt wrecker crane, but i know that it isn't for two reasons: doesn't have enough sheaves and the outriggers are not correct.

my vote: if it's not a hemmt [cargo] crane, then it's a crane from a m1074 - PLS crane. i think... i haven't seen one in years, so...

dma251

Sure does look like that MAN 8x8 crane cranetruck posted. Isn't there any dataplate or builder info on the crane or outriggers somewhere?

I would call up Grove first and try to make friends with a tech guy and ask if you can email him the pics you have. They seem pretty helpful there from what I've heard.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still digging for more info for you. Here is the FMTV spec and pics. The lifting capacity varies substantially with the extension of the boom. The FMTV is close to the HEMTT M985 Grove crane and can lift 11,000 lb at 7 FT.
For comparison my HIAB (avatar) has a capacity of 8,000 lb at 6 FT (or 16,000 lb at 3 FT).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks