• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with item ID on my Deuce

Oilleaker1

I'm deep into fixing all the F U's and issues on my new deuce. Got the hood straightened, am fixing valleys in my hard top with a porta-power, and while straightening the screen guard on my exhaust stack, I noticed a 2 1/2 foot long tubular clamp affair between the passenger door hinge and exhaust stack. Vertical ,right in front of the hinge. looks like you could put a flag post in it, and tighten some pinch bolts. My truck has a signal corp radio mount under the passengers seat and coax leading back to the right front of the cargo bed where there is a antenna mount location bracket. The truck was in the SD field artillery unit 147th. What went in this tubular bracket????????? I'm getting into this truck the more I work on it--------Green Disease------I like it!!!!!:jumpin:

Oilleaker1

Gun ring? I need a 50 now huh? I found not one , but two 50 cal. shells and links stuck in the battery box. Does this mean they had a ring mount on my truck at one time???? A gun truck-------Cool!:shock:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
A gun truck and a truck with a gun ring are wayyy diff. things. Its very common to have that bracket like the others said.
I have a WTF is this thing on my truck too. Ill post a pic , I wanna stump the Duece guys.

datsunaholic

I have half a turnbuckle mounted through the hood, sticking straight up. Highly odd, but it makes opening the hood possible from the bed with a rope...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ring mount leg mount.....if your truck has a hardtop it prob didn't have a ring mount installed. The gunner usually stood on the back of the passenger seat to fire the weapon.
The softop would be partially removed to allow the gunner access to the ringmount.
The other two legs were attached to the rear of the cab.
Finding spent rounds in odd locations is not unusual.

Oilleaker1

If no ring, then this long vertical bracket was for a side gunner with the windshield down like WW2 Jeeps had over the glove box?????? Go ahead, screw with my mind!:cool:

Oilleaker1

OK , I'll bite, If I found two Spent 50's in the battery box, with gravity considered, two links also (metal, no cloth, ) The hardtop could have been later, did this baby go to Vietnam as a gun truck, later to the Guard. The brass and links were outside of the box forward of the actual battery area. You are holding back making me think. This is bad cause thinking is dangerous. I need a drink!aua

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Nope it wasnt a "Gun Truck" in Vietnam . Could have gone to Nam but during the rebuilds in the 80's and 90's everything would have been stripped. It very well could have had a ring mount. Your right the hard top could have been put on when the mount was taken off. There are also hard tops with holes cut into them.

Gun boy , please do , its kinda weird , out of 9 Dueces and tons of other MV's I have owned never seen that.

PS , Relax, watch TV , go have that drink.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK , I'll bite, If I found two Spent 50's in the battery box, with gravity considered, two links also (metal, no cloth, ) The hardtop could have been later, did this baby go to Vietnam as a gun truck, later to the Guard. The brass and links were outside of the box forward of the actual battery area. You are holding back making me think. This is bad cause thinking is dangerous. I need a drink!aua
Only one guntruck that served in that conflict, returned to American soil.

Oilleaker1

:cookoo:I moved to the country, I have a cell phone, no F'ing Tv with commercials at 20 minutes per hour, and no f'ing kids vandelizing my property! I see Custer passing my house on his way to the Bighorn. Don't go there. I'm done with AS -holes dumping their beer cans on my grass. My Green machines are just that! Now, what the heck is that tubular bracket for? You don't have to answer, but I have a beer or drink waiting for you!!!!!!

DavidB

Open vent on passenger side and reach to bottom and you may find more brass.Also may see some chips in hood paint would indicate past ring mount.
DavidB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks