• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting without Starting fluid.

crazywelder72

it will only start with a 5 second shot of starting fluid into the air intake. it idles great at 8-900 rpm and runs fine. even after its warm and running i need to hit it again with the starting fluid. aua

my duce has the winter heater switch and i even tried using that but no luck. i dont even know anything about the manifold heater and how it works.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not post such dangerous and bad advice on the site.

That is not a resolution to his problem.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 seconds is way too long!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, one our site rules is to use proper sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation.

seano11

Dont light it though, unless you want to burn your truck to the ground. Sounds like you may have a fuel issue. Have you changed your filters?
I've done this thousands of times I've yet to burn a truck or tractor to the ground as long as your filter housing is steel its safe

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a new problem? How long have you owned your truck? Have you done any regular maintenance lately?

I always used a paper towel, not a rag so if and when it does get sucked in it will burn up and not do any damage.

Are you running straight diesel? Whens the last time you changed your filters? Does it seem to be cranking over slowly? do you have good oil pressure? Burn any oil? have alot of oil/smoke coming out of the vent tube running out of the top of the valve cover?

crazywelder72

i have only had the truck for a week. The first thing i did was replace the primary with a spin-on setup, and changed the secondary and final filters and cleaned the cans out good. -----The fuel pressuere seems quite good, when we were bleeding it- the fuel was squirting a good 4' up. The truck sounds great running and i haven't noticed anything comming out the exhaust.

I am running straight diesel, and it cranks nicely. The good news is I got to try out my winch tonight. Sooooo F'n Cool

Dr.Jay

A fuel injection pump that is not timed properly can cause these symptoms. What color is the exhaust?
White exhaust smoke indicates fuel timing issues. (Improper IP timing, or fuel starvation, cold fuel)
Black exhaust smoke indicates over fueling. (Improper IP calibration, or air restriction. )

crazywelder72

i have only been able to view it when its idling and it seems to be transparent. i'll try to grab a video of the stack tomorrow. i have never worked with a diesel motor before, thank god i have friends that have. This message board is awesome. everyone has been so helpful on my posts.

When it comes to MV's, I think I'm greener than the background of this page.

:funny:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a truck one time that would only start cold if you held the throttle to the floor until it hit. You would have to keep giving it a little throttle to keep it from dying until it warmed up. I turned the fuel up and then it started and ran fine cold.

A 5 second shot of ether is a BUNCH. Most diesels will "lock-up" with that much ether at one time.