• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting without Starting fluid.

derby

;-) Was the pump on an angle in the tank like in pic 5?
I wonder if anyone in your area has a good used (clean)tank?

crazywelder72

that is how it was when i removed it. My town had two duces for years just sitting and weathering away. I just looked at them last fall. figures they just got rid of them in January for scrap $$$. I wasn't counting on them for parts but it would have been nice.

I'll have to look around but i doubt it.

Martincox, you were right about the trucks. those were them.

JCKnife

Oh, that's not too bad then. But yeah straighten it out before you re-install and then it'll be reaching even deeper than before.

tah081

anymore luck? or have you not done anymore work on it… i just read the whole thread post by post… i sure hope i dont have to change my HH… im having starting issues as well… but i also noticed that im getting brownish/white smoke all the time :? but i havent really gottne to drive it much either considering ive been swamped… i did however find out that when it was decommissioned back in 99 that it had 36112 miles on it and it now has 36158 miles on it and the odometer does work just fine… it was a surplus store frontage decoration for years but it seems to run just fine after i give it a shot of ether… i replaced a section of the fuel line that was kinked and it really helped the fuel pressure/flow and replaced all of the fuel filters and i even put in a brand new fuel pump and the tank was actually super clean and rather rust free to my suprise…. i really hope it just needs to be driven

Attachments

crazywelder72

I didn't watch the mov files yet but i read your post. Listen to the guy's on here. They have been down this road many times and know what they are doing. The HH did fix my starting issues, having enough fuel in a clean tank fixed all the other issues :oops: lol. If your having as much smoke as you said I am think you may have a piston or piston ring issue. But thats just a gut reaction. I dont know but someone on here will know.

If you have to do your HH it isn't the end of the world. Just don't be in any hurry and take your time. go slow, think slowly, and dont be afriad to remove extra parts to make things easier. Get comfortable and muddle thru it. I did one day for the disassembly (about 4 hrs.) another day to screw with getting the timing lined up to remove and reinstall the HH and reassembled everything on a third day.

yesterday i got my tank back on and today my gaskets arrived. in went the fuel pump, and i cleaned my sender and gas cap in my ultrasonic cleaner ( worked awesome) while i was putting 11 gallons back in it. The sender said 1/4 tank so that seems about right.

I removed my old blinker module and reinstalled the new one. It tested fine and the blinkers worked so i was excited.:mrgreen:

Then i went onto bending some EMT tubing to use for the mirrors and some flat black paint.

when everything was done, she fired right up. just the push of the button. turned the headlights on and checked the blinkers just so i could admire the work and now it looks like i need to find the short thats tripping a breaker. The headlights work just fine, turn on a blinker and the headlights go out...

sooooooooooooooo close :(

derby

As to the wiring short, I would look for"new work" any splices or make shift wire harness. Anywhere there was any modification, including suspension and steering areas. Sometimes a torch or misplaced drill bit can cause wacky things to happen.

Also, that short may have been what smoked your last flasher box. You may want to un hook it until you find the short.

So she is all good in the running department?

crazywelder72

i think she's all good. i'll venture out around town tomorrow.

I will disconnect it to save it however i dont think i'll have much luck finding the short without it. I guess i could probe one hot blinker lead at a time and check against ground for continuity. that would mean its shorted i suppose. I am quite good at working with 12 volt systems but this is my first 24.

plym49

i think she's all good. i'll venture out around town tomorrow.

I will disconnect it to save it however i dont think i'll have much luck finding the short without it. I guess i could probe one hot blinker lead at a time and check against ground for continuity. that would mean its shorted i suppose. I am quite good at working with 12 volt systems but this is my first 24.
There's no difference. All principles, tools and techniques apply the same. You'll find it.

You have gotten thrown right into the deep end of the pool, and you are doing fine. I hope I do as well when my Deuce decides to throw me a few curve balls (knock on wood) of its own.

crazywelder72

so today was interesting. started to look for the short and i saw a nice big arc at the back of the connector at the switch. i made a attempt to fix it. i know the inside of the connector would be bad but the wires should be isolated so i didnt open it up. even after my patch work, it's still not working. This harness is so dry rotted. i think it's got to go.

separate of that i didn't take it out today. she decided to start leaking at the top radiator hose for no apparent reason today,

Attachments

derby

Nice neat repair, I hate it when you take the time to do a good job and it still don't work! I would keep looking for other bad spots as the harness looks perdy crusty.

That hose looks a little swolen on the engine side. Don't worry once you get all those little things fixed you will enjoy driving it and be an expert in Deuce repair.

crazywelder72

lol just what i always wanted. i wonder if the hose is bulged because of a blockage? perhaps the thermostat? why or how else would it build up that much pressure?

derby

Some times the hose starts to seperate in between the layers and you get a blister that can turn into a bulge. I think a new section of hose will cure it. I would check all the other hoses too, even the the one behind the oil filter cans.

You could have your radiator cap checked if you suspect too much pressure. I would think that it would be running hot to cause too much pressure.