• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Crane use...daily!

spicergear

Wow, when I put this thing on I didn't think I'd use it ALL the time. I've gotten a bunch of heavy stuff cleaned up, some other items moved, things unable to be lifted to work on...LIFTED and worked on, etc. Love my crane!

Some of you remember my Off Road M715, Velvet, that I took to TTC 2005. I've had problems with the two piece wheels as far as straightness and manufacturing which led to other problems. Anyway...eventually couldn't keep the bead sealed so really went at it this weekend to fix the worst one. After taking out the 32 bolts securing the wheel halves I was able to pry the halves apart enough to get two stacked pieces of 2x4 inbetween them. Prying and sledge hammering didn't even budge them. The beads had rusted and wheels pretty much stuck.

In the first pick the truck looks tipped to one side because I was moving the outriggers in and out to push on different points of the tire so I didn't put the other side's outrigger down for stability. Once the tire was pushed down a little bit I was able to grab the lip of the wheel with my sling then use the crane to pop it out. The force needed to seperate this from the wheel was impressive. I actually stalled the 'boom up' function. <--that takes some doing...like 5,000 lbs worth of doing.

Anyway wire wheeled the wheel, hit it with fresh paint, used a tube of black 795 where the halves meet and then used 'SLIME' on the beads as a lubricant and sealer. Whew...big tires can be a pain in the butt! :-D

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, twice in one week. Glad to see you mingling again Tom. I know that your crane and the K Booms are more practical than my little wrecker but I can't imaging life without some type of crane in the yard.

Barrman

You know Tom. I didn't realize how much I missed you posting until now. I mean that in a good way. Glad Velvet is on all 4's again and the crane is worth all the time, effort and money you put into it.

spicergear

Yeah...I'm filtering back in a little- :-D

M1075- I'll have to give you a ring one of these days and check on things! Ah...those wheels; at least I heard he was out of business- :roll:

I've had a boom that I could pop onto my John Deere but about the heaviest thing I could grab was a Big Block Chevy...but it didn't have much reach. I recently built an extension/jib for it for light stuff and that's proven to be really handy. Still helps to have a crane with some moxy though-

Yeah, Tim...nice to be back around and seeing some familiar faces. I still don't have much time to spend. I have more money in hydraulic a few hydraulic lines and the valve end pieces than in the rest of the crane! Got a good deal with cash and trade from the get-go!

ida34

I needed one just tonight. I had to remove the cab on my F-350. I used them tractor loader but being able to pull it straight up would be great. Now I have to be way to get the new cab on without scratching or denting it. I really trashed the old cab but it was trashed to begin with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks