• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Wheel Adapter Plate Project

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I have my first completed adapter plate in hand/ resting on a HEMTT wheel. We need to move the valve stem opening on future plates out another 1/2" but this one is going on the bobber. Tomorrow i will press out the lugs and then secure the plate on the wheel. Once all 4 plates are mounted a they head to Matt's shop to get 4 395 tires mounted on them and the bobber gets new rubber. I promised pics and here they are. There is more into making these that I had envisioned because I am not a master machinist. All lug opening are beveled to spec. I will keep you updated..

Attachments

dusterjh

I've been waiting all week for the pics, thanks.
Can't wait to see them on your bobber. I'm hoping these adapters are economical so I can do the same to my bobber.

Regards,
Joe Hance
Towanda, PA

SterlingDevelop

There is more into making these that I had envisioned because I am not a master machinist.
I'm not any kind of machinist, but I do have extensive experience in CAD / CNC as it relates to waterjet cutting.

I'd like to hear why it's more complicated than it looks...... I might even learn something.

jesusgatos

I'm a little bit confused. You cut out the original center-sections, right? As I understand it, that 6-lug pattern won't quite fit inside the 10-lug pattern. So are those new centers going to be welded into place or just bolted?

98hd

OK. So, if that plate is bolted to the outside face of the ring where the two wheel halves are bolted together (is that right?), then you can't repair a tire without first removing the wheel, right?
I think he's going to press out the studs to bolt the wheels together, then place the plate behind the inner wheel half and press new studs in to retain the new plate. Then it would work as normal.

These look real nice BTW.

M1075

OK. So, if that plate is bolted to the outside face of the ring where the two wheel halves are bolted together (is that right?), then you can't repair a tire without first removing the wheel, right?
Who would try to repair a tire without removing the wheel (aside from a quick plug)? I don't see that as a likely scenario. Might be possible on the front axle, but what is 6 more nuts when you are already going to do 16 anyway?

jesusgatos

On the beadlocked wheels we run on rock crawlers and desert race trucks, that's an easy way to plug/patch/sew-up a tire. Was just thinking that it might also be convenient on larger trucks with bigger/heavier tires.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I look at it this way. Leave the wheel bolted to the hub and remove the 10 lugs. Then you patch/plug or replace your tire. If you remove the wheel from the lug and 6 lugs and then you still need to remove 10 more to get the tire off. You can do it either way and i would not want to manage that part of your life. 98HD is entirely correct. the lugs are pressed through the adapter into the inner wheer and then bolted to the outer section. The hub is bolted to the plate.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
So.... what's it gonna cost us... :)

Honestly, I am unsure of a price until we finish up all 4. These are prototypes that he put lots of time into like everything in the developement stage. We have learned a lot. The more I can get an order for the lower the price will be. If you are interested pm me with how many you may want. Once I get enough to order lets say 20,-30 I will work out the best price, let everyone know and then order steel and start production. I will pm everyone with what they will cost and then just give me a yea or a nea! Once they get out there, they will sell. I am going to make up 6 more for my 6x6 so I have an order for 10 more after these 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperJoe

on the topic of studs do you maintain the factory wheel studs? also since these wheels are singles is the stud hole in the center smaller than the standard wheel? i.e. the deuce stock wheel has a center hole of 6.5 inches and stud holes of aprox 1.137" this is ti accommodate the dual nuts for the duals in the rear. if the second nut is not needed any longer s the stud hole reduced to aprox .75" with a flare for lug nut.

they look great as stated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks