• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here's a loaded question--baby seats

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I about had another heart attack when I got the news that we are having another baby. We just sold our two old cars about 6 months ago to buy my wife her new van and my 1009. A 3rd vehicle is not a current option.

Has anyone ever used baby seats in their1009?

mangus580

RE: Here

All the time!!!!

Now.... that said, I have never been happy with a seat install. Granted, I am sure they are perfectly safe, and probably meet standards, but I am pretty anal about how tight I make them when I install. From what i have found, so far, the best spot is most likely the center of the back seat. It seems to be the only belt you can really get tight. the outboard 'stalks' in the 1009 make it difficult. Of course, I prefer to actually use the pass seat when possible, as that seems to work the best overall. The wife doesnt really agree with this spot, but my point is, its a 1009... kid is just as safe there, as the back seat rofl

If you need any pics of installs let me know... What do you plan to use for a seat?

Taz

I pulled a passenger seat belt out of an '87 pickup for my 1008. Starting in that year, I believe GM changed the belts. If you pull the bottom belt out of the retractor, it locks and ratchets back in so you can cinch the baby seat down tight. There is also a label with instructions on the belt itself if you pull it far enough out. I think the '87 and later civilian blazer might do the same. I have a 1009 as well and used the center of the rear seat. We have another on the way as well so I am refreshing my memory on this for the future as well! My daughter really liked riding around in the back of the 1009. Good luck!

Elwenil

Might want to check the local laws as far as putting a child seat in the front. I'm pretty sure it is illegal to put a child seat in the front in Virginia now.

Elwenil

Ok, after digging, I guess it's not technically illegal. I always assumed it was since DMV and the State Police always say you "should" put them in the back seat and "should not" put them in the front. It's sometimes had to decipher what is law and what is a suggestion when you see it in print on their documents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a cool device that slides on a seat belt and works like a ratched strap to bind the seat tighter. I have one somewhere, need to find it. Works great. Also consider atting LATCH points as all new car seats have the straps for them. I'll add LATCH points on the M35A2C when I get it.

mangus580

I have 2 of those 'Mighty-Tites' (I think the wife still has them) If anyone wants them. They frown upon them at seat checks, and I have figured out how to get the seats pretty tight without them.

My concern with adding LATCH points... is are you ever SURE you have them anchored strong enough?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am looking forward to strapping my boy in the 818. It'll be more fun when he can ride in a toddler seat so he can see where we are going though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you ever sure the factory has them anchored strong enough? I'm no engineer but I guarantee I can over fabricate LATCH points. Never had an issue with the harnesses on the race cars and off road trucks.

mangus580

Recovry4x4 said:
Are you ever sure the factory has them anchored strong enough? I'm no engineer but I guarantee I can over fabricate LATCH points. Never had an issue with the harnesses on the race cars and off road trucks.
Point taken....

Me personally.... I wouldnt want to have that repsonsablity hanging over my head....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've allways used both in conjunction. Like a breakaway chain on a pull sled, if one lets go, I've got the second.

ida34

They are mandatory in Canada. My Canadian Crown Vic has one on the back deck. I am pretty sure newer cars come with the anchor point standard for the back seat. I could be wrong on this but I know I have seen anchor points on newer cars.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks all of the insight.

I got some time to look at the various options. The infant car seat will go in the rear seat middle. I still have two other kids under 60 lbs so I got two kid seats to put in there on each side. Guess I will have to use the straps integral to the kid seats themselves since the rear seat doesn't have should strap and there really isn't anyplace to put one for the rear seat of a 1009. The kid seats have 3 anchor straps that come out of the back. Those anchor straps are the ones that I am thinking about putting hard points behind the rear seat for. Figure either welding an attachment point or putting an eyebolt through the floor. Call me a gloom and doomer but I can't help but think that rear seat could flip forward in a front impact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks