• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey guy I think I have a head gasket blow out... what do you think

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guy I think I have a head gasket blow out... what do you think? So the other day i realized that I was leaking oil but it only leak after I ran it at full RPM. However when the truck was at Idle it was not leaking. So i was having trouble founding where this oil leak was coming from. I went out there tonight trying to figure out what it could be. Then I notice a pattern of the oil on the engine block. I notice that the oil spry was heavy at the front of the motor, and that it fade out to the rear of the motor. Then I look at the bottom of the hood and saw the same pattern. So I established that the leak was coming from the front part of the motor and the fan was blowing it back to the rear of the motor. So after looking at the fuel and oil lines and seeing that nothing was leaking. I went ahead took a closer look at the block and this is what I found.4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you even think head gasket in the absence of other issues, check valve gasket (rubber; will leak if overtightened, will leak if too loose). Check oil filters. The fan is a monster and is on all the time; it blows oil everywhere.

Can't make it out on my little screen, but check whether you have the old style or new style head gasket. The old style gasket has tabs and is designed to weep somewhat (but not as much as your pics show). If no oil in coolant/coolant in oil issue or obvious "blowout", let engine cool overnight and re-torque the head bolts to 158 ft lbs (please verify the torque value before attempting this). Then clean, run and re-assess. These are my 5 cents (no more pennies in Canada).

Last edited:

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea my hope is that it is a rubber gasket or seal but my luck does not seem to pan out sometimes. I know about checking the oil for coolant fluid, but I lost light to fast. I will check it tomorrow. The gasket protruding out seemed to me most likely to be the problem. I will check everything over in the morning again with more light.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys just planning for the worst case, I am looking for the head gasket however can not locate them on line.The Motor is a LDT 465... Do any of you guys know were I can get one? I check old Iron LLC, and Memphis eqipment; but they didnt have any.

hemichallenger

I would clean it good with brake clean and then start it and see were the first sighn of the leak appears. It looks excessive for a head gasket but possable.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that is a lot of oil so it will be easy to see where it comes from after you pressure wash it and take the fan belts off so you can run it with no air blowing. (not drive it)

Scarecrow1

The way I have always found a blown head gasket was like the man said oil in the water or water in the oil. The way it is sprayed every where really looks like an oil leak more than the head gasket to me. I may be wrong but it wouldn't be the first time :) Just the first time today

brianp454

Another idea

I think this is the best suggestion so far. I would take a good look and not cloud your thinking by blaming the head gasket before you have evidence to confirm that is it. Also, a head garket can leak in many different ways and may or may not cause oil in water, water in oil, etc. I would check the vent to make sure it is free; it also looks like you are dribbling around the oil fill cap which might suggest excessive blowby or venting issue. I'm always leery of front crank seals and would check inside the balancer.

that is a lot of oil so it will be easy to see where it comes from after you pressure wash it and take the fan belts off so you can run it with no air blowing. (not drive it)

frodobaggins

Slobber tube clogged ? Look at all that oil around the oil fill. Clean every thing up and let it get warm with no fan. You will find it easy enough. Good luck.

brianp454

I think both is the clear answer. AND you could have mentioned the sharp popping noise and spraying water from the front of the engine. Fixing an oil leak is one thing, the video shows something completely different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks