• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi all

jakwi

I've been lurking here on SS for a while now and I thought I should introduce myself. I am the recent owner of an 86 m1009

Thus far it has been running pretty well other than an intermitent stall on deceleration issue and also mildly surging idle. (any ideas? I've already bumped the idle up maybe an eighth of a turn.)

The passenger door also rubs on the forward edge against the fender. It looks like a replacement door as the camo pattern doesn't match. I'm not sure whether I should be trying to move the door or the fender, It looks like the door isn't properly centered, but I don't see any adjustment.

I haven't made any changes to it other than installing a cigarette lighter.
and installing a 2" ball/pintle from harbor freight. The PO converted it to 12v and installed a temp guage. I also fixed the horn with two ball point pens and some heat shrink. :roll: but it works now so that's good.

I plan on fixing the holes in the floor and installing some insulation/vinyl floor, changing out the front seats, I've been thinking about tinting the windows and maybe painting it. A dome light and a stereo of some sort would be nice.

In the future I'd like to put 33 inch tires on it, from what I've read I can do this even without lift, but I am not sure about the backspacing on the rims. If anyone knows how much backspacing is needed I'd love to know.

This is my daily driver now, so mostly I'd like to reduce the noise and make it a wee bit more comfortable.

anyway I guess that's it, I'm in colorado springs.

KsM715

Welcome to the site. With a little searching and some help from others you should be able to get the little problems fixed pretty easily.

jakwi

thanks, yup I figure my issues aren't really a big deal. I have been searching for solutions, but I haven't found them yet. as far
as the idle, I almost think it might be my ip. It does have 97000 on it, but you know for back and forth to work it's not worth worrying about.

LanceRobson

Welcome!

If you go to the "RESOURCES" tab above, select "TECHNICAL MANUALS" and go to about the 6th page, download TM 9-2320-289-10 Operator's Manual and the -20, 20P, 34 and 34P manuals.

The -20 mechanical troubleshooting guide will address both your stalling and surging issues. The -20P is the parts book and can also be helpful to ID what a component looks like and where to find it.

Good luck

Lance

jakwi

Hey Lance thanks. I am downloading the - 20 right now. Let me see if I can figure this out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

As a side note I grew up in Groton, NY, it's not to far from Sennet sort of between cortland and ithaca.

41cl8m5

jakwl,
Welcome
The wealth of info on this site is sometimes overwellming. I know you will find this site very helpfull. I did. If I have a question about my MV's I just search for it and 98% of the time someone has the answer I'm looking for. You also mite want to look at this Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado

stampy

Check the door clearance towards the rear of the door (ie: near the door strike) when closed, if it is close then you will have to move the fender, otherwise either will do. Reducing noise is as easy as adding sound deadener...plenty of types out there dynamat/ spray on/ regular isnulation and body cladding so I would say you have some decisions to make. Look at what others have done here. I happen to have some K flex self adhesive foam sheet that I will be using for sound deadening and r-value...not cheap but hey I had it laying around. Welcome to the site!

jakwi

Well just thought I'd update some of the things that fixed my problems.

The stall on deceleration was fixed by a new fuel pump. It was immediate, and very clear that was the problem.

The pulsing / surging continued however. So I dropped the fuel tank and changed the screen, which was installed vertically and bent over. This reduced the surface area of the screen by 80% or so. The tank looked relatively clean though. I didn't notice any difference after doing this so I don't know if it resolved anything.

So then I replaced the fuel filter housing with a spin on type and I installed 15 psi gauges on the inlet and outlet of the pump. I did this so I can tell if the filter is plugged. Both gauges should read the same, If the outlet pressure drops relative to the inlet pressure the filter is plugging up. Anyway this seemed to resolve the surging / pulsing idle. Instead of surging 200 to 300 rpm, now it varies by 25 or maybe 50 rpms at the most. So I think the problem was an air leak. I don't know if the 25 rpm variation is normal. Honestly I wouldn't notice it by ear, it's only because I have a tach that I can see that variation.

I also fixed the door spacing with a stack of 3 fender washers at every bolt between the hinge and the door itself.

That's pretty much all I've done thus far.

I've been lurking here on SS for a while now and I thought I should introduce myself. I am the recent owner of an 86 m1009

Thus far it has been running pretty well other than an intermitent stall on deceleration issue and also mildly surging idle. (any ideas? I've already bumped the idle up maybe an eighth of a turn.)

The passenger door also rubs on the forward edge against the fender. It looks like a replacement door as the camo pattern doesn't match. I'm not sure whether I should be trying to move the door or the fender, It looks like the door isn't properly centered, but I don't see any adjustment.

I haven't made any changes to it other than installing a cigarette lighter.
and installing a 2" ball/pintle from harbor freight. The PO converted it to 12v and installed a temp guage. I also fixed the horn with two ball point pens and some heat shrink. :roll: but it works now so that's good.

I plan on fixing the holes in the floor and installing some insulation/vinyl floor, changing out the front seats, I've been thinking about tinting the windows and maybe painting it. A dome light and a stereo of some sort would be nice.

In the future I'd like to put 33 inch tires on it, from what I've read I can do this even without lift, but I am not sure about the backspacing on the rims. If anyone knows how much backspacing is needed I'd love to know.

This is my daily driver now, so mostly I'd like to reduce the noise and make it a wee bit more comfortable.

anyway I guess that's it, I'm in colorado springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks