• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High idle solenoid

SPECIALTYLC

The high idle wont turn off on my 1008. Was working fine until this week. When I disconnect the wire it returns to normal. What controls the solenoid? Is it a sensor or is it in the glow plug card?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at figure F3 in the -20 TM.

mangus580

I think there is 3 temperature switches. One, activates the idiot light, one glow plugs, and one the cold advance - high idle.

Check the TM to confirm, but I believe the drivers front side of the engine (on the head) is the idiot light, drivers back of the head on top - glow plug.

I dont remember where the other one is... believe its on the side of the passenger head.

SPECIALTYLC

I found it. No thanks to the TMs, they dont have a picture or say where to find it. Its on the passenger head rear,next to the exhuast manifold.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure 46 in TM 9-2320-289-20P identifies the sensors and shows the locations.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if one could unplug the sensor and pipe in a switch. I don't need the high idle here in the heat, it would be nice for extended idle time.

Dodgeman1941

Last weekend we were using the inverter that I have in our blazer to run the lights in the tent that houses our military display at an event. We run it for a half an hour every 4 hours or so to recharge the battery. At the last outing that we did this at the blazer "loaded up" really bad and we killed every mosquito within a half a mile when we left. This weekend I tried a trick where I unpluged the high idle wire and plugged in a jumper to the 12v and it worked like a charm, recharged the battery better and no smoke cloud when leaving. I'm thinking about adding a relay and a button on the dash to do this with a flip of a switch.

howardc

Could anyone that disconnected the Cold Advance and put in a manual switch elaborate? ie, location of manual switch, pics, etc. Thanks in advance!

Barrman

You can mount the switch inside the truck anywhere you want.

The stock automatic switch is on the passenger side head, all the way back near the firewall. Below and to the rear of the #8 fuel injector. You can maybe get to it from the wheel well. The exhaust down pipe is in the way to get to it from the bottom. Laying on the engine works pretty good for me to get to it.

There are just two wires on the switch. Constant hot power anytime the ignition is on and then the green wire to the IP.

If you want to retain the stock cold start advance and hi idle function. Which I suggest you keep. Splicing into the green wire at any point from the switch described above to the two plugs on the IP would work. That way it will work without you thinking about it and at times you want a faster idle.

howardc

The high idle on my truck has been acting up. If my truck is in P or N, it sounds like it's at max RPM. In Drive, the pedal doesn't return to idle. If I splice into the wire and keep the stock function of the switches, would the manual switch exorcise the demon in my truck until I turn it on and reactivate it? Ideally, I would like to have the function for warm ups, but I don't really need it at 65 mph.

cucvrus

Have you tried removing it and cleaning everything well. There is a switch that tells the fast idle to engage. Have you checked the switch? I had one stick and a good cleaning was all it took to get it back in working order. Just a suggestion. This is NOT a cure all. Just a thought and easy enough to try. Have a Great Day.

howardc

I will try today. Is that the one on top of the engine or the one on the passenger side rear engine?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look at your throttle cable, it may be sticking.

The high idle is not that high(should not be).

howardc

Took it out for a test drive during lunch today. It started happening again, so I unplugged the green wire from the high idle switch. It performs fine now, tried several times to reproduce the stick but could not. I guess I will try to clean the old sensor when I get home.

nyoffroad

Took it out for a test drive during lunch today. It started happening again, so I unplugged the green wire from the high idle switch. It performs fine now, tried several times to reproduce the stick but could not. I guess I will try to clean the old sensor when I get home.
Well so much for my thought of a frayed throttle cable!:p Clean it up and readjust it with a straight screwdriver, just be CAREFULL of the fan blades!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks