• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High oil pressure....

kcobean

My oil pressure gauge or sending unit (or both) were bad because my gauge would fluctuate between 60 and 90 PSI at idle. I removed both the sending unit and the gauge and just installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge that has a capillary line from the fitting on the engine to the back of the gauge.

The new gauge (after fighting with leaks on the adaptor on the engine fitting) is still reading between 40 and 45 PSI at idle. Anybody have any thoughts on if the oil PSI is really that high and if so, what is causing it?

Carrera911

That's standard with cold thick oil. Fully warm idle should be 15-20 psi. Too much oil pressure isn't a bad thing. It means your motor clearances are tighter and less worn. It's when you have too little pressure you should worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcobean

That's standard with cold thick oil. Fully warm idle should be 15-20 psi. Too much oil pressure isn't a bad thing. It means your motor clearances are tighter and less worn. It's when you have too little pressure you should worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took it out for a drive and got the oil up to temp. Idle pressure is 40 PSI with about 55 PSI at speed.

jeffy777

I would start to worry 60-90 psi(I world want to fix it soon) and I would be really worried above 90 psi (There is problem vehicle should not be used! Find the problem). From what I see 40-55 is kind of normal from what I see. My nephew told me not to trust a HMMVW that starts with less than 30 and greater than 60 from used stock. He was 63B(senior mechanic) in the military. He said this from his experience. The -10 TM(page 1-25) says lower psi 15 psi at idle (your is the 6.2 right?) But normal operating is 40-50 psi (still on page 1-25).

kcobean

I would start to worry 60-90 psi(I world want to fix it soon) and I would be really worried above 90 psi (There is problem vehicle should not be used! Find the problem). From what I see 40-55 is kind of normal from what I see. My nephew told me not to trust a HMMVW that starts with less than 30 and greater than 60 from used stock. He was 63B(senior mechanic) in the military. He said this from his experience. The -10 TM(page 1-25) says lower psi 15 psi at idle (your is the 6.2 right?) But normal operating is 40-50 psi (still on page 1-25).
Mine is a 6.5 GEP. I took it out for about a 30 minute drive today and it was idling at 30 PSI and operating around 50. Based on your input put im gonna call it good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks