• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hit large hidden rock - suspect damage to torque bar

1redgmc

Hello.

No pics on this one, sorry.

I clipped a large rock outcropping, hidden along side the road behind tall weeds and brush. I was doing approximately 25 MPH and had to move over on this narrow road because some idiot woman was not paying attention (she appeared to be texting!). It was either give way or my front bumper would have hit her windshield pillar and oh what a mess that would have been.

The rock tore a chunk out of the sidewall, flattened the tire and while only a small dent in wheel - the bead area is compromised and the wheel is toast.

Felt like I was hit by a freight train (sounded like it too). Of course, she neither stopped nor slowed down - she just kept on going...

Now my front set of tandems is out of alignment with the rear. Passenger side looks to be back about 2" and I have noticed grinding of the driveline which coincides with the many posts related to a damaged torque bar / dogbone. I can't see any obvious problems (bushing is not gone or dislodged and the torque rod does not appear to be bent or broken) but it is no doubt damaged.

I've browsed the related threads for a couple hours - and see it is a reasonably simple fix.

I've gone through all ( 28 ) pages of classified ads but no one has any listed. If there are some there, my tired eyes must have missed them. I will post a wanted to buy ad.

Once I locate someone who has one - what should be a reasonable price to pay?

Is there any other damage I should look for?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have "full coverage" insurance? Did you report your accident to your insurance and local police?

I would say you need to do a full tear down and inspect all suspension/drive-line/wheel components on the side that hit.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You made need to make a more careful examination.....if the front axle is out of alignment something has shifted.

Is there another SS member in the area that can help you check it out while you are slowly rolling along. Making some broad turns at low speed may show you where the prob is.

tm america

two inches?The way the rear suspension is made 2 inches could be normal...make sure your tires are the same diameter from side to side and check the air pressure...The axles are guided side to side by the springs and the brackets on the axle..the torque rods only hold them front to rear...if you look at the brackets where the springs ride on the axle you will see they dont have a tight fit ..They have about 1 inch side to side movent..if the front axle is shifted to the right and rear axle is shifted to the left it will look crazy but it is how they were made to work...I you look at them is a turn they are always shifted..after a turn it takes a little bit before they shift back...drive it straight for a good amount before seeing where they are sitting....If you had a torque rod problem you would see it...look at the leaf springs to see if they have shifted in the mount.but i doupt it as they are bolted in tightly.:driver:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

Maybe the title co was trying to help you out by not getting you on the road sooner ..just think they might prevented this had you not got your plates:shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way consider Clark Truck Parts in Poca WV. Not the cheapest dealer but at least in your state.

hoop

Clark is in the other part of the state....Maddog is just south of you. If you need parts..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................drawings that you wip out like in less time it takes me to cook a egg.
Hahaha..... that would be an extra hard-boiled egg than!:)

(in this case I had the files saved and almost ready to go, from Maverick's "adventure", almost two years ago...!)

Hope it helps, anyways!

G.

Blood_of_Tyrants

After destroying one car when an idiot pulled out in front of me and I ran off the road to avoid them (of course they drove off), I have vowed to never allow them to get by with it again and I will clip them and wreck their vehicle, too, rather than have my insurance go up because of an a$$hole.

1redgmc

Two possibilities: middle axle shifted or bent. Or both!?

(drawing below...)

You might read this one to help determine what's wrong: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/31858-uneven-tyre-wear-m54-rear-axle-after-accident.html

G.

I forgot that you had mentioned "grinding of the driveline..." : pull the axle shaft on the F/R axle, pass. side and see if it made a difference.
Thanks for all the replies and input. Lots of good options here to look at. [thumbzup]

To clarify, this is the first set of tandems. I did not hit the front axle, and looking at it closer, I bet I only missed it by a fraction of an inch. I'm guessing that smashing the rear against that rock formation was better than the front.

Based upon the picture provided by gringeltaube (thank you!) I went back up to the truck before it got dark and it looks more like axle SHIFT because to me it looks exactly like the picture. I pulled a string line from the rear of the tandems to the front and it is definitely cocked like in the drawing.

With this in mind - what say you experts? What will pulling the F/R passenger side axle tell me? If the grinding goes away, then what? Maybe the grinding is in my head because I am now listening for something that I didn't before and it was there all along...

aua

1redgmc

Clark is in the other part of the state....Maddog is just south of you. If you need parts..
I think he is down the road about 35 miles. Good call! Thanks! We'll see how this plays out. I wanted to hook up with maddog about my PRC77 radio when it warms up.