• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hit large hidden rock - suspect damage to torque bar

1redgmc

Do you have "full coverage" insurance? Did you report your accident to your insurance and local police?

I would say you need to do a full tear down and inspect all suspension/drive-line/wheel components on the side that hit.
Ha! No... just liability for the other idiots out there.

I was more angry with myself afterwards because I should have jammed on the brakes as hard as I could and allowed her to hit ME.

Agree, full inspection is on order.

airmech3839

Yeah if you had let her hit you then you would have less damage for sure!! :twisted::twisted:

She may not have been in good shape though so thanks for thinking of your fellow (wo)man!

DieselBob

With this in mind - what say you experts? What will pulling the F/R passenger side axle tell me? If the grinding goes away, then what?
I'm no expert by a long shot but I would think to “shift” the axle that much you would see either a broken torque rod or mount. The two torque rods connected to the bottom of the axle housing are the only things that position the axle perpendicular to the chassis. The top torque rod is only to resist rotation of the axle housing. I would think the grinding that you are experiencing might be from the shifted operating angel of the “u” joints causing lateral stress on the input / output shaft bearings of the differential. If by removing the axle shaft you notice the grinding disappear I would tend to believe the spindle is bent causing the axle shaft to bind in the differential carrier. That's my 2cents

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert by a long shot but I would think to “shift” the axle that much you would see either a broken torque rod or mount. The two torque rods connected to the bottom of the axle housing are the only things that position the axle perpendicular to the chassis. The top torque rod is only to resist rotation of the axle housing......
:ditto:

If by removing the axle shaft you notice the grinding disappear I would tend to believe the spindle is bent causing the axle shaft to bind in the differential carrier.
My thoughts also, and hoping for the best. (since I know that these housings are "softer" than one would imagine, and they do bend...!)

G.

1redgmc

I'm no expert by a long shot but I would think to “shift” the axle that much you would see either a broken torque rod or mount. The two torque rods connected to the bottom of the axle housing are the only things that position the axle perpendicular to the chassis. The top torque rod is only to resist rotation of the axle housing. I would think the grinding that you are experiencing would be from the shifted phase of the “u” joints causing lateral stress on the on the input / output shaft bearings of the differential. If by removing the axle shaft you notice the grinding disappear I would tend to believe the spindle is bent causing the axle shaft to bind in the differential carrier. That's my 2cents
Good stuff, thank you.

With the wind, cold and snow - my under the truck exposure for the diagnosis was indeed short today. Tomorrow I'll do some more investigating and take some pictures for you guys to review. Maybe this will shed some additional light on the issue. I'll also get accurate measurements so as to better understand the extent of the damage.

1redgmc

I got an extra tire and wheel and I am in the same state! If you are in the area its yours... :mrgreen:
Thank you for the offer!

While I was waiting SIX months on the idiot at the title company to deliver (that saga is in another thread) - I was able to accumulate some spare wheels/tires. I've already swapped out the bad for the good and gave the damaged tire/wheel to my buddy that hauls scrap. Now if the wind isn't howling tomorrow I'll try to see exactly what is going on here.

I find it incredibly encouraging to know that so many folks are willing to offer their assistance and spare parts. I've never had any other hobby/interest with so many first-class people.

[thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good thing is that if the axle is bent, a good rear can usually be had for $200 or so. Just be glad it wasn't the front. They go for $800+.

R Racing

Are you sure your rear axles are just not out left to right instead of front to back ?Its normal for a deuce and 5 tons to have the axles move left to right arount 2 "s its seen more in the middle axle than the rear. they move like that under hard turning and make lovely noise lol .

1redgmc

The weekend was spent working up firewood and (other) vehicle maintenance. It was too dang cold and windy to crawl under the deuce to mess with this. It sure ain't goin' no where right now but I've got everything lined up to take detailed measurements to share with you guys so you can give me your diagnostic opinions.

More to follow (soon I hope).

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures would help alot

1redgmc

Pictures would help alot
Yes sir. Got me a new digital camera and this is the perfect opportunity to try it out. Copious pictures will follow. Supposed to snow here tomorrow so it might be a couple days before I can pull it all together.

I am as anxious to hear what your opinion is as you might be for pictures! [thumbzup]

1redgmc

Don't forget to charge the battery. No need to go into how I know this helps. :doh:
Battery? This thing has a battery to charge? I thought they charged themselves? At least that is what the kid who sold it to me said.

I think I am in hi-tech trouble. I knew I shoulda kept that Polaroid. Life was much simpler then...

Next you'll tell me I shouldn't have thrown away that box and the instructions! aua

1redgmc

No pictures or additional information for tonite. Snowing here, have to get ready the plow truck ready so my neighbors will be happy in the morning. Will try AGAIN once this weather breaks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the snow! Enjoy it while you have it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks