Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SP actually stood for Special Purpose. ;)
The aircraft was designed for maximum range on long-haul routes. Very high seating capacity was not needed, so a major weight saving could be accomplished by doing away with unneeded fuselage length, which also had some aerodynamic benefits. This also proved an advantage at some destinations where the airport couldn't physically handle the full length 747.

Cheers

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SP actually stood for Special Purpose. ;)
The aircraft was designed for maximum range on long-haul routes. Very high seating capacity was not needed, so a major weight saving could be accomplished by doing away with unneeded fuselage length, which also had some aerodynamic benefits. This also proved an advantage at some destinations where the airport couldn't physically handle the full length 747.

Cheers
Thanks, Rory.
I new I could have GOOGLED that, but I was having too much fun mutating the initials into something satirical.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boeing 747SP China Airlines.jpg747SP Private Jet.jpg The only 747SP I ever saw in person was a China Airlines jet at Honolulu International Airport about 1998. They flew them in from mainland China to Hawaii, quite a distance. The production line stopped at A/C #49. Sometime later a Middle Eastern Businessman ordered one as a private jet, so 747SP #50 was born.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks