• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thread about the SILENT WINGS MUSEUM in Lubbock, Texas.... In memory of the GLIDERS and their airmen.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Relax
It gets much better

One controlling lift over drag is the best.......
controlling momentum....
This is just cruising around with nice craft
Imagine going to WAR with props almost in the Sea
Where does one think all those people got trained........

Thanks for sharing that Frank.

Beautiful country! And, nice footage of some good flying.

waayfast

Relax
It gets much better

One controlling lift over drag is the best.......
controlling momentum....
This is just cruising around with nice craft
Imagine going to WAR with props almost in the Sea
Where does one think all those people got trained........
Sometimes when we get new folks on here, I type "Welcome from Salmon River Country!" And now by this video ya'll get to see what that is.

Ah, yes my backyard. Excellent video. Sure makes me wish I was still flying for sure, but I don't think I would like to contend with the traffic out there now.

We have been found!!

Ahab, State of Idaho does some maintenance, some strips are private and some US Forest service.

There is a book out there that is the story of the Johnson Flying Service ,Based in Missoula MT and here in Mccall, ID back in the old days.
" Fly The Biggest Piece Home " is the name of the book IIRC.
fun bit of history.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sometimes when we get new folks on here, I type "Welcome from Salmon River Country!" And now by this video ya'll get to see what that is.

Ah, yes my backyard. Excellent video. Sure makes me wish I was still flying for sure, but I don't think I would like to contend with the traffic out there now.

We have been found!!

Ahab, State of Idaho does some maintenance, some strips are private and some US Forest service.

There is a book out there that is the story of the Johnson Flying Service ,Based in Missoula MT and here in Mccall, ID back in the old days.
" Fly The Biggest Piece Home " is the name of the book IIRC.
fun bit of history.
where is the chart

Another Ahab

A B-17 making a couple of beautiful very low passes. Turn up your sound!!
Thanks for the vid, Tracer. Excellent!

Just learned that developing the B-29 was the most expensive U.S war project of WWII (outspent the Manhattan Project even, apparently).

Pretty amazing that the B-17 started the war (developed sometime in the 30's if I recall it right, 1939?), and the B-29 ended it.

Two very different, but terrribly and highly effective war machines. Too bad we still have wars. They're not good for anybody.

Well, except maybe for the war manufacturers. They wave flags more vigorously thatn anybody. They seem to make out pretty good, right?

Another Ahab

Thanks for sharing that Frank.
With my experience in aircraft engineering, I ALWAYS enjoy articles about ANYTHING "aviation".... Particularly the historical reflections.
ColdWarrior and I share the same curiosity, so another thanks here to you, Frank8003.

I read somewhere once that the manufacturing plants in Witchita (almost dead-center in the state of Kansas), were considered ideal (if not actually developed there purposefully).

Being almost exactly in the dead-center of the continent (equal distance from each ocean shore) the plants were considered safe from any kind of high-altitude bombing that either Axis power might possibly come up with. Makes sense, you know?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks