• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Guyfang

Staff member
Saw the Guppy and the NASA 747 used to transport the Shuttle, at Biggs Field, Ft Bliss Texas, back in 1986? Ugly dont cut it. The 747 with Shuttle landed there due to "unforeseen" engine red lights. The Guppy also. Biggs was an alternate landing site when these big birds had "situations".

Another Ahab

Saw the Guppy and the NASA 747 used to transport the Shuttle, at Biggs Field, Ft Bliss Texas, back in 1986? Ugly dont cut it. The 747 with Shuttle landed there due to "unforeseen" engine red lights. The Guppy also. Biggs was an alternate landing site when these big birds had "situations".
Yeah, situations happen, for sure. AIr Guard pilot I knew used to tell me:

- Every TAKE-OFF is optional

- Every LANDING is mandatory

He was joking and not joking, all at the same time!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, situations happen, for sure. AIr Guard pilot I knew used to tell me:

- Every TAKE-OFF is optional

- Every LANDING is mandatory

He was joking and not joking, all at the same time!
My absolute best airplane quote was by Chuck Yeager:
"If you can walk away from a landing, It is a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing "

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boeing 377 Stratocrusier.jpeg The Super Guppy started life in 1947 as the Boeing 377 Stratocrusier. The USAF used the cargo version C-97 Stratofreighter. There is one 377 left, and it belongs to the Israeli Airforce. The Super Guppy landed at Boeing Long Beach in Dec 2014 to pick up a large composite bulkhead that the C-17 team had been working on for NASA for a couple years. They made a hard landing and cracked one of the flight deck windows. Fed-Ex had a new one there next day. The flight crew said NASA has a ton of spares salted away for the aircraft.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NASA Boeing/Aero Spaceline 377-SG Super Guppy N941NA LGB Landing 30 RARE!! - YouTube Here is the Guppy landing at Boeing Long Beach in 2014. The crew invited me in for a tour. The flight deck has changed little since 1947. The first thing you smell when you enter through the crew entry door. Is hydraulic fluid and FR Primer paint. Climb the gantry up to the flight deck, and then open the flight deck back door, and you enter a giant cavern that is the cargo bay.

Guyfang

Staff member
We got to tour into the 747 and look at the Shuttle. Someone complained that he wanted to see the inside of the Shuttle cockpit, so I asked my Step brother for some pictures. He was Chief Engineer for the Shuttle cargo arm for a good number of years. I may try and find them. Very interesting!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(1) B-29 Superfortress Low and LOUD! - YouTube This is the B-29 "Doc" taking off, doing a couple low passes and landing. This is the 2nd airworthy B-29, the other is FiFi. Doc was a derelict at NAS China Lake since the late 50s before being rescued in 2000 and shipped to Wichita Kansas for restoration, in the same hangar where she was built in 1945.

Barrman

FiFi was in College Station a year ago tomorrow. I went to see and hear it. South wind that day thankfully so I was able to drive around to the departure end of the runway and get a video of it taking off over me. The swapped to 2800 engines years ago to make maintenance cheaper and easier. Still loud, but not like it would have been at full boost with the original power plants.

Hmm, I can’t post the video directly. I will get it to YouTube and then try again later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks