• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just love that head-on view of the Corsair (F4U). Those bent wings always intrigue me.
Chaplain, this was my favorite Corsair, it's an XF2G-1 Corsair of which only 10 examples were built by the end of the war. The XF2G-1 was powered by a Pratt & Whitney 28 Cylinder R-4360-4 engine producing 3000hp. The standard F2G Corsair used an 18 cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine producing 2100hp. The XF2G-1 in this video was named Super Corsair, and was powered by a race tuned R-4360 producing 5000hp. The aircraft with her was named Tsunami. Tsunami was powered by a Packard Merlin V12 engine producing 3000hp. Tsunami was a custom aircraft built from the ground up to be a racer. Both of these aircraft were regulars at the Reno Air races for several years. Sadly, both of these beautiful aircraft were destroyed in accidents. Sorry this isn't a low pass video, but I just had to share.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
When I was a kid, 1962-1964 my family spent a lot of time in the Tahoe area. Its where I learned to water ski. Tahoe is a great place to water ski. Its so cold, you do NOT want to fall. Back then, Tahoe was stick city. Nothing there. I remember playing a penny slot machine for kids in the Mobil gas station in town. The biggest pine cones I ever saw in my life there. What a wonderful place!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was a kid, 1962-1964 my family spent a lot of time in the Tahoe area. Its where I learned to water ski. Tahoe is a great place to water ski. Its so cold, you do NOT want to fall. Back then, Tahoe was stick city. Nothing there. I remember playing a penny slot machine for kids in the Mobil gas station in town. The biggest pine cones I ever saw in my life there. What a wonderful place!
Howard Hughes Tahoe Home.jpg Guy, I agree. When we were younger, places like lake Tahoe, and Lake Arrowhead were wonderful places to spend a few days with the family. Today they are full of tract homes, supermarkets, and overpriced restaurants. This is a picture of Howard Hughes secluded home at Lake Tahoe. Here, Howard entertained the who's who of Hollywood, and the Aviation business. Here are some pictures of the home and Howard. The home sold several years ago for 19.5 Million. And yes, the water at Tahoe is colder than cold!!

Another Ahab

The company that froze him, was in Calif. Haven't heard anything in mega ages about it.
We got the Howard Hughes Institute HHI), here in D.C. (Bethesda MD to be precise).

Noise is that the ultimate mission of the Institute (funded by the Old Man himself) is to "thaw him out" and resurrect the man once they get the bugs all worked for the method.

"He" is in no hurry for that day. He's just chilling out (maybe in CA like you say), until the time is right. As long as that takes...

But NO one at the HHI will ever tell you that is so.

Because maybe it isn't.

Or maybe it is. Who knows?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain, this was my favorite Corsair, it's an XF2G-1 Corsair of which only 10 examples were built by the end of the war. The XF2G-1 was powered by a Pratt & Whitney 28 Cylinder R-4360-4 engine producing 3000hp. The standard F2G Corsair used an 18 cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine producing 2100hp. The XF2G-1 in this video was named Super Corsair, and was powered by a race tuned R-4360 producing 5000hp. The aircraft with her was named Tsunami. Tsunami was powered by a Packard Merlin V12 engine producing 3000hp. Tsunami was a custom aircraft built from the ground up to be a racer. Both of these aircraft were regulars at the Reno Air races for several years. Sadly, both of these beautiful aircraft were destroyed in accidents. Sorry this isn't a low pass video, but I just had to share.
Both are sweet aircraft. As you said, sadly both have been lost.

Thanks for sharing that video.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll go back to Martin's Tavern in Old Georgetown, my treat, of course!
Martin's Tavern is quite the historic location. Thank you for the offer of another visit.
I'm thinking that Dianna would also enjoy both the memorabilia and the great food there. And, of course, your company is priceless as well!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I keep thinkin of my Dads trials and tribulations and how I searched in the late
70's for anything about Waco CG4A gliders, talk about low!

Having Brass cajones doesn't even begin to describe.
He was the one that taught me of the angle of the dangle, lift over drag............
He had more time at night in gliders than I had in powered aircraft back then.
He would have liked this..........
It is yours now.
trans Atlantic

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks