• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 2 Man M998 cargo cover question. Anyone ever do a chop top on the cargo?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 2 man M998 setup but would like to lower the cargo cover to be in line with the truck much like the low profile on the soft top 4 Man setup. Has anyone done this as I am not finding info on this mod. Below is a real quick photoshop image of what it would look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

p100000000.jpg

Last edited:

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I was thinking and if right the new bottom line will be above the rear cargo cover window and that could be cutout and reinstalled (stitched in) where is would now belong. I would have thought others had done this mod but I have not found anything on it.

Mark

Action

If you are using camo, the pattern will not line up. Jut cut the top couple feet off and sew it back on without the sides. Then you wont have to resew all those tie down clips or the window.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 2 man M998 setup but would like to lower the cargo cover to be in line with the truck much like the low profile on the soft top 4 Man setup.

View attachment 630228
Very nice! Definitely would do this if I landed a 2-man. Please document the steps taken and pitfalls if any are found. Since the rear flap with Poly window is a separate piece, couldn't you just cut the top off it so the bottom edge stays registered correctly for driver visibility?

I could even even see retaining the rear seats inside for the occasional soldier C and D.

Action

i guess. that is what i was saying in my first post. if you cut the bottom or the top, you are gonna have another issue. there are 4 bows under that top. the front one is shorter than the others, so the top is angled between the first 2. if you cut all 4 bows to the same length, there will be some excess top flapping around. that will require more work there.

Predator42

I did this a year ago, cut the troop bows down, then went to CAL RANCH and bought their OD green Canvas tarp. affixed it to the bows and this is what I ended up with. If I were to do it again I would get a shop to put velcro along the area where it could attach to the 2 man top. Also be aware that the rear cargo cover does not zip up and close if using the bows as a support. it is about 2 inches too wide. I liked the look. in other words if you try and use the rear cargo cover of the 4man later and use just 2 bows it is too wide between the bows for the factory 4 man cargo cover to work. if you keep the troop seats in and then add this cover and get it to velcro to the top and create that seal vs having a gap that is the way to go. Tarp was only $50 or so.

IMG_0361.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0522.jpg

Last edited:

Predator42

Here are some Ideas I've been toying with. I am working on another setup now. I think it would be useful to have something removable like these examples. one shorter for winter when i have the 4 X doors on and one for summer when I go into the Pickup mode. I like the lockable storage accessible from the sides.
.004.jpg0069d8c891d6a8febd095a2aad2ccd67.jpg0042104be1434c72eff4a6d478e5de01.jpg

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info thanks. I did notice that the front of the tarp is lower and I would have to deal with that but a real canvas tarp as a great idea. Love the looks of your setup

Mark

Action

That pic of the tubes setting on the floor......look at the angle iron welded to the bottom. I assume those were welded on backwards? It looks like they would sit on the INSIDE edge of the fenders. Maybe they should have test fitted it before finishing it. Or does that roll cage only cover the bed and not the fenders too.

Action

Nevermind. I just roughly measure the 4x4 and tried to figure out how wide that thing is. It looks to only be just over 4' wide?

desmodromic

I like the 2 man M998 setup but would like to lower the cargo cover to be in line with the truck much like the low profile on the soft top 4 Man setup. Has anyone done this as I am not finding info on this mod. Below is a real quick photoshop image of what it would look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

View attachment 630228
Nice, I just added a 2 man to my budding fleet. I want to keep it in truck mode, so post up your results - I would love to do it with mine.

Sharke3

I did this with my 92 M998. The bows came apart in pieces and I just used the tops sections. Picked up 10x12 green canvas tarp from the local farmers supply store, some OD green paracord or some bungee straps and you are in bizzznesss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks