• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV acquisition and rebuild

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the electrical system is a start-from-scratch deal. Can't be too choosy when it comes to reasonably priced HMMWVs. Looks like she needs a serious steam clean.

ke5eua

jeremymx26

Someone had converted it to 12v...maybe even a previous has motor....seen it to many times.
Is this a long hard road? The starter still says 24v and the batteries are hooked up in series but I did not check the alternator output. I of coarse want to restore back to original operation and function.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found after doing more restorations then I can count, that doing them with the body on is a lesson in futility.
Now, there are two modes of thought...one is, do you want to enjoy the truck, slowly fixing issues but at the same time not having weeks or months of downtime? And the other is just biting the bullet and going for it with full body removal.
thats up to you...I have done both, but what dictates that is the level of discrepancies your truck has, are they major or minor? Have you performed safety MWO's such as seat belts and head pads, Brakes, seats and spindle nuts lock washers.
Myself? I always go through my trucks so that mechanically they are ok....

take you time, do it right, this only adds to the value of the truck.

now, from what you say, I would check the output of the alternator....very well could be 24v.
If it were me? I wouldn't trust what I see....24v will torch s**t.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing how a fresh coat of paint makes it look. Looks like the wiring needs major work.

jeremymx26

I am going to go with the body removal approach I think. I don't need to drive it so I want to fix everything right the first time then enjoy it for a while.
I appreciate your insight on this. A wise man once told me you can't beat a man at his own game.
The parts list is going to be long so the labor time will offset the getting parts time I hope.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once the body is off, your going to be able to do things like clean,paint and replace with ease.
Once its all back together you will have this truck for many years to come...and then buy another...repeat....lol
Not sure of your set up but 6 guys can lift the body off. Its 550lbs, i use gantry or forklift with chains on the 4 bed tie downs.

jeremymx26

Once the body is off, your going to be able to do things like clean,paint and replace with ease.
Once its all back together you will have this truck for many years to come...and then buy another...repeat....lol
Not sure of your set up but 6 guys can lift the body off. Its 550lbs, i use gantry or forklift with chains on the 4 bed tie downs.
550 lbs, haha that's what the M35A2 transfer case weighed. I'm really going to enjoy working on this. I am going to look into just replacing the wiring harness as you suggested,3 point seat belts, and everything in the HMMWV sticky.

ke5eua

I would turn the solenoid back around to avoid false activating. When the spring wears out enough that plunger will just drop down, usually it happens at the worst time.

Looks nice, good luck with everything on it.

jeremymx26

I would turn the solenoid back around to avoid false activating. When the spring wears out enough that plunger will just drop down, usually it happens at the worst time.

Looks nice, good luck with everything on it.
All of that mess will be removed. I appreciate the heads up just the same.
I started removing everything inside to remove the body.
.image.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir they are missing. Unfortunately a long list of missing on this truck.
The need list is just slightly longer. Haha
Missing or never had them? Some trucks did not have them, such as maxi ambulance and shelter carrier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks