• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Arrived

dk8019

Well it showed up today, but sadly would not drive off the trailer. It had driven on, but we couldn't get it to fire up. After talking to one of the locals in the area on here, I quickly discovered that seven of the eight glow plugs were kaput. Fortunately seven of the eight came out quite nicely, but one had rusted off before the threads even started to turn, and she doesn't appear to want to come out.

Two questions though, is there any chance that locally available glow plugs at say an autozone would get me going? There are similarly dimension and thread pattern plugs available, but I would imagine they are in 12V variety. Assuming the resistance is similar over the plug, is their a chance I could use one of these, or am I best off just buying the proper plugs off ebay etc, and letting her sit until they come in?

Second, how would one remove the one that's stuck? It's not a tip broken off like I've read about before. Any experience on this front?

And here she is!

13407175_10100282798657434_9053608692338412775_n.jpg13413052_10100282834495614_2577581159012792038_n.jpg13413618_10100282798652444_1584014943369332501_n.jpg

Katavic918

I've always been a believer in fixing things right the first time. I can understand the excitement part of it and wanting to get it going though. Order the right parts. You'll be down for what?...a week maybe.

And actually I haven't always been a believer in fixing things right the first time. That started in my mid 20's. Geez you should have seen some of my "cost saving measures" before that. Yikes.

General Hood

Well it showed up today, but sadly would not drive off the trailer. It had driven on, but we couldn't get it to fire up. After talking to one of the locals in the area on here, I quickly discovered that seven of the eight glow plugs were kaput. Fortunately seven of the eight came out quite nicely, but one had rusted off before the threads even started to turn, and she doesn't appear to want to come out.

Two questions though, is there any chance that locally available glow plugs at say an autozone would get me going? There are similarly dimension and thread pattern plugs available, but I would imagine they are in 12V variety. Assuming the resistance is similar over the plug, is their a chance I could use one of these, or am I best off just buying the proper plugs off ebay etc, and letting her sit until they come in?

Second, how would one remove the one that's stuck? It's not a tip broken off like I've read about before. Any experience on this front?

And here she is!

View attachment 627690View attachment 627691View attachment 627692
Congrats on the new member to your MV family

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmmm, drove it on the trailer, then DOA... Did the switch get turned off once it was loaded?

Nice acquisition and addition to the motor pool!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmmm, drove it on the trailer, then DOA... Did the switch get turned off once it was loaded?

Nice acquisition and addition to the motor pool!
Gov planet sites like to use starting fluid which is a no no.

tage

Gov planet sites like to use starting fluid which is a no no.

"but it drove off the lot under its own power"... they give used car salesman a bad name. And well. rolling stock contractors.

I can see why GL just stated. "no key, no start". let it go for what it is....

Buy the correct GP's. I was able to get some from a friend at a motor pool. Literally giving them away by the boxes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The connectors on the 12 volt and 24 volt glow plugs are completely different. I would wait for the correct ones to arrive.

dk8019

They never noted it on mine, and there's no way it was going to start without ether. I did fire it off this morning with WD40 and she ran wonderfully well. The correct plugs have been ordered off ebay, and hopefully will be here midweek.

Any one have any ideas how to remove the one that is broken?

Mike82ndABN

They never noted it on mine, and there's no way it was going to start without ether. I did fire it off this morning with WD40 and she ran wonderfully well. The correct plugs have been ordered off ebay, and hopefully will be here midweek.

yea post a pic like i said and someone will tell you

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can look at it Monday if your around!

ClarkeF

The safest way is with the correct glow plug removal tool. It basically grabs the body of the plug and you push it out from the engine by rotating the tool against the engine.

Search epay or other sites for 6.2 6.5 Glow Plug Removal tool. Others have had success with vice grip and pry bar. it has to be unscrewed from the head obviously first.

dk8019

Sorry, should get a picture up this evening. Action is right, it basically rusted out at the block interface from what I can see, so when I tried to back it out, it broke there, with little to nothing to grab.

ClarkeF

Sorry, should get a picture up this evening. Action is right, it basically rusted out at the block interface from what I can see, so when I tried to back it out, it broke there, with little to nothing to grab.
your best option is to pull the head and have a machine shop is similarly equipped person remove it. If the GP is still sealed in place and providing compression, I'd leave it be and run with 7 GP - it just means a little extra rattle and will start fine in almost all conditions. Not worth the expense to pull it.

If you can get to it to drill it out (not sure you can from the pictures) then a second option would be to pull the injector, put that cylinder at TDC, drill out the GP for an extractor while providing suction through the injector hole, then clean up the threads and replace it.

joshuak

FWIW, when something similar happened to me, I was able to solve it by removing the injector and fishing out the glow plug tip through the injector orifice. It did require some hammering to get the offending tip into the pre-combustion chamber and to then be able to be pulled out.

I used a 28-30 mm (?? I'll check if you'd like) deep socket to remove the injector, I covered the fuel return lines with duct tape or thin card board, don't want to bugger them up.

I think that mushrooming on the tip was enough to not allow it come through the glow plug hole.

IMG_0381.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks