• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV cleaning windshield??

I have green over spray on the windshield,what can I use on it to get it off safely? I tried window cleaner and a razor blade but it seams the windshield is maybe bullet proof? It's soft?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new single edge razor normally does the trick. Not sure about "soft" glass. Mirror Glaze makes a clay bar for overspray/detail work. Works great on auto finishes and glass.

Sintorion

Be very careful if using a razor blade because you are right about it being soft. Mine was very scratched and I took it to one of those mobile car detailers who polished out the scratches.

papakb

You didn't mention which variant of HMMWV you have but if it has ballistic windshields and the soft anti-spalling polymer is on the outside they're installed backwards. The anti-spalling plastic should be in the inside top prevent glass particles from spraying the crew compartment if hit by a bullet. NEVER USE BRAKE CLEANER ON THEM!! Most brake cleaners have some severe solvents in them and warn right on the labels about using them anywhere near plastics.

If you just have standard safety glass then it shouldn't be soft and a straight edge razor blade should take off the overspray pretty easily. You can always use a paint thinner like xylene or acetone if it's just glass.

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take notice that some on that website that sounds like flea gay where selling those HMMWV 3/4" ballistic windshields as interchangeable for both sides. Beware that they are not and are side specific. As has been explained above...

erasedhammer

I had some overspray on my windows (from me). Put some wd40 on a rag, paint came right off. Cleaned the wd40 off and used glass cleaner to make sure none was left. Windows look brand new now!

snowtrac nome

as I remember the pre uparmored turtle back rigs had a lexan composite glass, not a true ballistic glass but the lexan was supposed to face to the inside the true up armred had a windshield that weighed in around 200 pounds

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks