• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV coolant crossover tube install and temp readings..........

Drock

HMMWV crossover tube swap.jpg So I did the HMMWV coolant crossover swap ah couple days ago so I would have a better location to install my temp gauge probe. I had it installed in the port on the water pump ,but because of the cooler water flowing into the pump at that point . My reading was always 160. Now that I have it installed in the crossover tube it reads 190 at idol, and 193ish at speed. I also have a radiator cap with a gauge in it that reads 180 at the top of the rad. Soo my question is which is it? I'm I over heating? or is this just ah hot spot to catch a reading from? I assume normal operating temperature for these trucks is 180?

JamieM1009

Hey I fitted a temp gauge to mine which runs from the usual temp sensor positions on the side of the engine and it runs at around 180 - 185, which I believe is standard

rsh4364

I havnt done the crossover upgrade yet,still waiting for new radiator,I would say your temp is good,depends on your thermostat temp.I read normal temp is 185-230,if less than 200 you are good.

cucvrus

Rick: How many radiators did you have to refuse till you received one that was undamaged? I am still waiting for one at the Zone. They have failed 3 times in the last week. And Drock that crossover looks good. It has a different look and I am glad everything worked out for you.

rsh4364

I received 1 brass copper radiator which was a mess to my home,and so far 2 alum. rads with plastic end tanks delivered to autozone even though they called and ordered the brass copper rads.Im not happy,all boxes say b850/cu850 on them.

Last edited:

rsh4364

I received 1 brass copper radiator which was a mess to my home,and so far 2 alum. rads with plastic end tanks delivered to autozone even though they called and ordered the brass copper rads.Im not happy,all boxes say b850/cu850 on them.
As of today still no brass/copper radiator from autozone,and we are up to 5 alum rads.shipped.Ready to explore other options!

hoplite666

Once fully warmed up my sunpro holds at 190. Idle/cruising/summer/winter all the same. Takes a heck of a lot longer to get there in the winter though.

danoscooter

The 6.5 I swapped in was from a hmmwv so I already had the crossover. I just barely had enough length to reach the plug in the coolant crossover. The Bosch gauge was reading in the 180-185 range. 190-193ish doesn't sound like something to worry about.

The only issue I had was getting the nut adapter to seal completely, it seeps coolant slightly. I'm gonna try tape tomorrow per the installation instructions.

Drock

Yah need to use the liquid thread sealant. I bought some ah few months ago and now I'll never use the tape again. Works VERY well!

Drock

i was wondering if i could drill and tap the crossover that already there??
I suppose you could try? The only problem I would foresee would be do to the fact that it is pretty thin and made of cast aluminum. So it could crack or simply not have enough thickness to get any threads on. But if it did mess up you could have one on your doorstep for around $50.00 off ebay.

welpro222

I drilled and tapped a 1/8 npt autometer sending unit in mine. Its working great, reads 185-190 steady with a 190 robertshaw thermo in it. There is roughly 1/4 of aluminum there, just seal it good and don't over torque it. for added security you could add a thin nut to the inside of the sender. I decided not to, so I did not have to remove the crossover if changing the sender.

AECS

I had the machine shop at work drill and tap mine 1/8 NPT. It is barely thick enough to tap 1/8 npt, but not 1/4, according to their book of all things machinist related...

Drock

Another thing you mite want to check is the length of the probe for your gauge. The cheap Bosch mechanical gauge I have had a pretty long one . I don't think it would have fit in the top horizontal part of the crossover. All things considered It really wasn't worth it to me to have the truck out of service for ah week or more if something broke or didn't work. Or worse break while I'm 100 miles from home. So that's why I just spent the money and got the right one. One less thing to worry about yah know?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks