• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Doors/ Tops

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking through this thread, still looking for doors. I see that West Kentucky is sold out now and found thehummersupply. Has anyone ever ordered doors from them? View attachment 888197
Hi, I bought a set of 4 from Kentucky. Good customer service. Doors seem sturdy, 1/4in thick fg and all standard fittings. I mounted them but presently painting the truck so not much usage.

Interesting note, when closed it is almost impossible for my wife to open them. The latches are too stiff.
The weather stripping is compressed when closed witch I suppose will help keep the water out but causes strain on the latches.
I will need to get some ex mil buddies over to see what their opinion is on the latch stiffness.

Others here with these doors, thoughts on the latch stiffness?

Attachments

jake20

Yep same thing here, push on the door with the opposite hand when you pull on the paddle latch.

Had a buddy bend my front right passenger paddle latch pivot points due to this, that being said, west Kentucky is shipping me a new latch free of charge. Good service but product could be a bit better refined.

Alternatively, you can oval out the rear striker holes slightly towards the edge of the truck, will require less force to latch and open then, but a worse weather seal.

As far as the front holes go, you’re kind stuck with where the strikers sit as it’s part of the B pillar support holes.

Also, very lightly grease the window sliding channels, otherwise you’ll be cursing trying to close them while driving lol

I’ve got 8 more doors that I’m installing onto 2 more trucks, will post any other tips I come up with when I deal with those.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I bought a set of 4 from Kentucky. Good customer service. Doors seem sturdy, 1/4in thick fg and all standard fittings. I mounted them but presently painting the truck so not much usage.

Interesting note, when closed it is almost impossible for my wife to open them. The latches are too stiff.
The weather stripping is compressed when closed witch I suppose will help keep the water out but causes strain on the latches.
I will need to get some ex mil buddies over to see what their opinion is on the latch stiffness.

Others here with these doors, thoughts on the latch stiffness?
Just had my West Kentucky surplus doors delivered last Friday. I'm a little disappointed that I have to actually drill the hinges out. U think for 4k it would of already been done. Also no installation instructions for door strikers.

tgejesse

Just had my West Kentucky surplus doors delivered last Friday. I'm a little disappointed that I have to actually drill the hinges out. U think for 4k it would of already been done. Also no installation instructions for door strikers.
Doesn’t come with striker mounting hardware either. Just the strikers themselves.

Same situation here. Rivets not done well. For 1k a door, quality should be a little better.

jake20

I had the same opinion at first but every humvee is so different that it does actually make sense to have to drill them out yourself. If not, would be a pain to line everything up I’d think.

Attached a few photos of my striker setup, lemme know if you’ve got any questions, I provided some instructions earlier in this thread as well.

Run a vacuum cleaner when drilling the fiberglass, dust is super fine.

Attachments

jake20

Doesn’t come with striker mounting hardware either. Just the strikers themselves.

Same situation here. Rivets not done well. For 1k a door, quality should be a little better.
Yep I went to ace hardware and got a ton of hardware for it all, get a bunch of assorted sizes of bolts and washers to make life easier. Main size I used for 1/4” bolts for the hinge mounts to the A and B pillars. 5/16 for the B pillar striker, and 1/4 for the C pillar strikers

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same opinion at first but every humvee is so different that it does actually make sense to have to drill them out yourself. If not, would be a pain to line everything up I’d think.

Attached a few photos of my striker setup, lemme know if you’ve got any questions, I provided some instructions earlier in this thread as well.

Run a vacuum cleaner when drilling the fiberglass, dust is super fine.
Thanks! That helps out! I have read your post over and over. Good stuff.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mounting the front plates I chose to trim that al piece to make a nice flat surface. On the back plates, the existing holes in the al were large so I had to use a couple of different size washers. The back plate slots are for 1/4in bolts. Would have been nice if they were 3/8in instead.

For bolts etc, since my truck wad complete except sans armor, there were a lot of holes to fill. I used mainly 3/8in and 7/16in by 3/4 and 1in long. I used exclusively nylon lock nuts and did not use any lock washers unless going into existing threaded holes.
I chose to buy stainless bolts rather than plated.

Attachments

jake20

When mounting the front plates I chose to trim that al piece to make a nice flat surface. On the back plates, the existing holes in the al were large so I had to use a couple of different size washers. The back plate slots are for 1/4in bolts. Would have been nice if they were 3/8in instead.

For bolts etc, since my truck wad complete except sans armor, there were a lot of holes to fill. I used mainly 3/8in and 7/16in by 3/4 and 1in long. I used exclusively nylon lock nuts and did not use any lock washers unless going into existing threaded holes.
I chose to buy stainless bolts rather than plated.
I second this, only use nylon lock nuts unless you want things falling apart from how much these trucks shake lol

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How thin is the fiberglass? Disturbing to find cracks on a new item. Box damaged at all? I feel for you.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a crack that I can see, looks like they got careless with the rivet gun, does not look to be serious enough to warrant a replacement IMHO

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is just a chip in the clearcoat then is not a big deal at all. They sure are smoother than the X-Doors but I would like to see someone compare them side to side. Use a good eatching primer and don't forget to wipe down the doors with a tack cloth before spraying enything.

Mark

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a crack that I can see, looks like they got careless with the rivet gun, does not look to be serious enough to warrant a replacement IMHO
This is more than careless with the rivet gun. This is a huge void of fiberglass missing. They are replacing. Adam is the man! Good customer service!

Last edited:

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That never should have made it to a shipping box. Quality control needs to greatly improve. That would really tick me off.

Mark

dd3r56y-e9c245d2-f434-405d-90ce-c41936d55999.gif

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks