• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv exhaust heat shield noise???

neos

I get a vibrating high pitch noise on my 1989 M998 at about 35 mph and goes away at about 40 mph. it sounds like an exhaust heat shield noise. I check for loose parts but can not find anything. Any ideas? Thanks

dmetalmiki

That could be almost anything. You will have to go through the vehicle and check everything for tightness and fit. You could start from where you think the noise eminates from. But vibrations can travell through a lot of compnants. Let us know the end result.

gcbennet

On my truck one of the welds on the exhaust crossover pipe shield had cracked through and it made a **** of a racket when it vibrated. As always with my truck it wasn't obvious and I had a **** of a time finding the source of the noise.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my truck one of the welds on the exhaust crossover pipe shield had cracked through and it made a **** of a racket when it vibrated. As always with my truck it wasn't obvious and I had a **** of a time finding the source of the noise.
thats the normal spot...remove the shield or put hose clamps around it. Some of the crossover pipes NOS don't have that heat shield....IMHO, it's a nuisance.

papakb

Had exactly the same problem with the heatshield on the crossover pipe. When I originally got it the shield was welded on the wrong side of the pipe and the welds I did when I switched it over didn't hold. I ended up hose clamping it and haven't had problems since.

neos

There are no heat shields on any of the crossover pipes (should I install one? Would it make a difference? )
However I did find a loose heat shield attached to the transmission oil stick. Just need to find a way to secure and test....

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no heat shields on any of the crossover pipes (should I install one? Would it make a difference? )
However I did find a loose heat shield attached to the transmission oil stick. Just need to find a way to secure and test....
The small dip stick heat shield clips and bolts to the big shield for the right exhaust.