• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV impounded

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took my GP HMMWV to the CHP for a vin verification this morning. The Vin# came back "truck stolen from Fort Irwin". Thank God we are good standing Citizens in the community, or we would of all be arrested, and thrown in jail till the Government send their release paper work to the CHP. HMMWV is still in impound, we were let go, wasted hours at the CHP explaining our selves. GP is working on the problem. The irony of this ordeal is check your vin#s make sure is not on the hot list, it will been really ugly getting pulled over during a recovery. This would of been a Felony arrest, the ramification is huge, especially if you have a security clearance like we do. be careful.................

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Yeah this has been the talk of the office for the last few hours. We got a request in to the DLA to get a letter to get all this cleared up. I will say we have never encountered anything like this up until now...and we see and hear some pretty crazy stuff...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We run a fairly large police impound yard here and frequently we tow in vehicles that HAD been reported stolen and then recovered but not listed as recovered in the system. It would ALMOST be funny if it didn't cause the individual in possession of the vehicle so much grief trying to get things straight.

turnkey

think they might inpound my moped I got from DRMO here at Greatlakes...Maybe have a slow speed chase ..You know to McDees and back...Might even hit 25 KPH...

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy... talk about a crappy day! Looks like we'll get a good idea on how GP will react to this.

Hope it all gets worked out quickly!

Side question, this wouldn't have come up during the SF97/EUC process?

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I don't see it coming up during the EUC they are primarily looking at the individual buying not the actual vehicle. They have to send a letter on company letter head stating that they gave it to us on DTID (Delivery turn in document) so and so that proves the ownership to IronPlanet.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me somebody would have to report it stolen before it gets listed in a LE database as stolen. My question is who reported it stolen? If DLA turned over this truck to GP for sales why was it reported stolen? Surely listing a vehicle as stolen isn't part of the usual process?

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it was misplaced on the base, Army reported stolen. no one in the Army reported found. Here we are years later with a big problem. GP is trying hard to get a letter to remedy this. We are lucky, This whole thing could of gone badly.

FrankUSMC

I'm sure it was misplaced on the base, Army reported stolen. no one in the Army reported found. Here we are years later with a big problem. GP is trying hard to get a letter to remedy this. We are lucky, This whole thing could of gone badly.
I am with you on this. the vehicle being misplaced. While I was in the Marines, we had a tractor on our training airfield for cutting the grass around the airfield. One day we had a NIS agent show up who wanted to see the tractor and the serial number. Turns out the main base was missing several tractors. The agent told us they did not think the tractors had been stolen, just misplaced.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with you on this. the vehicle being misplaced. While I was in the Marines, we had a tractor on our training airfield for cutting the grass around the airfield. One day we had a NIS agent show up who wanted to see the tractor and the serial number. Turns out the main base was missing several tractors. The agent told us they did not think the tractors had been stolen, just misplaced.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
It wasn't an Army tractor was it? Seems Marines had a habit of "misplacing" some of our equipment.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just not deleted from an inventory when it was turned in.

I assume at some point someone wanders around with a list checking to make sure everything is still there.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just not deleted from an inventory when it was turned in.

I assume at some point someone wanders around with a list checking to make sure everything is still there.
Thankfully property accountability is usually a much more formal process than just wandering around checking to make sure everything is still there. Army commanders and property holders are required to check on their property at regular intervals. Must have been one jacked-up unit to not know they turned in a HMMWV then report it stolen- and forget about it and just go on thinking it was stolen!

We'll probably never know the whole story. It's probably an entertaining story of incompetence and incredible lack of discipline.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I suspect it was a simple matter of the vehicle being reported stolen (for what ever reason), then being recovered but the paper trail/computer system not being updated.

We have a HECK of a problem with that here in Columbus, GA. Less than a mile from where my terminal is you can cross a bridge and be in Phenix City, AL. When Columbus recovers a vehicle stolen from PC, AL they immediately notify that police department. They also report the vehicle being recovered in the NCIC system.
Sadly...more often than not, that LE organization fails to notify the vehicle owner that we have their vehicle and it starts getting storage added to the recovery bill 24 hours after notification is made to that LEO. Guess who gets screwed. Not me.

It's not that hard for things to fall thru the crack.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave...this is why it's called a SNAFU....your theory is probaby 99% correct.....we loose crap all the time, misplaced, then we are bound to report it to security forces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks