• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV impounded

todds112

This was a very common issue with U-Haul. Back when I was a rookie cop I was told at one point almost 10% of Uhauls on the road were entered stolen! Some where, some weren't. Made our jobs really difficult when you stopped one. Is this a criminal hauling stolen goods in a stolen trailer, or a local pastor hauling donated goods to a church bazaar?! Didn't want to make a bad call and over, or under, react. Of course no one would have their rental contract on them, the office would be closed, always a cluster.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP is playing games on the Tax collection issue. Taxes should be paid by purchaser in the state it is to be titled(rather on or off road) and not to the state of sale/pick up. I have bought many out of state and NEVER paid sales taxes until I registered/titled it in my state of residence. This activity is questionable at best. Now when I buy in my state the should recover sales tax and ONLY then. JMO
I went through this with GL. Paid sales tax on the truck when I bought it. Walked into the BMV and they calculated the tax already paid to GL and it covered the state tax they wanted. Zero went to the state and I kinda think they get screwed by GL, not me.

Gunzy

I went through this with GL. Paid sales tax on the truck when I bought it. Walked into the BMV and they calculated the tax already paid to GL and it covered the state tax they wanted. Zero went to the state and I kinda think they get screwed by GL, not me.
There are some states that won't accept you tax payment to another state and then charges you again. "You want it licensed, you pay the taxes" is their argument.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You know, it rained here yesterday. We had some pretty powerful lightning also. I had to venture out in it to go to the store and fill up since the truck was almost empty. Meanwhile back at the bat cave batman was showing robin the intricacies of ..... Oh, ya, impounded vehicle.

Boy this site is really jump all over the place...I forgot what this thread was talking about in the first place?????

nattieleather

@63foxtrot Sorry to hear that this happened. Yes it could be even worse nightmare for someone else who may not be as known as you seem to be. That person may be sitting in lockup as well. Keep us posted on what happens and what hoops you have to jump through to get your truck back. Good luck!

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well the pucker factor is over. HMMWV is back in the yard. Everybody worked tirelessly, and got a happy ending. GP did good, answered all calls promptly. Cooler heads prevailed......

Wile E. Coyote

Awesome. And great that the CHP had a grounded response and didn't jump to conclusions before looking into things. So far GovPlanet's been pretty good in all of my dealings with them - and responsive. The only hangup, as others have mentioned, is the sales tax thing, but that's a subject for a separate thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks