• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Junk Yards in California or anywhere

theman10k

Hi guys

Just wondering if there any junk yards in California or anywhere we can get access to for parts and doors
I would prefer they were in California but anywhere is cool I just want to see if such places exist

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing as hmmwvs were required to be mutilated to the point of "nothing useable" up until just recently it is highly unlikely you'll find anything intact in a junkyard, much less a junkyard dedicated to them.

jdmcm

Walker Auto Wrecking in Hesperia California, Dave has tons of HMMWV parts, great guy, easy to deal with, sells on ebay and ships worldwide (760) 244-8060

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave has good stuff.
I am about 50 miles west of him and have lots a stuff for the Hmmwv.

theman10k

Good question that I've always wanted to know
On GL you can get full sets of doors and winches and Slant-back kits when they come up so that's one way

papakb

You need to have a little understanding of the property disposal system here. The system assigns a demil requirements primarily to assembled items such as HMMWVs, radios, and property it deems defense related and not for release to the general public. Almost all ordnance and ammunition related parts fall into this category and that's why you rarely see them for sale at the auctions. There are also different catagories of demil such as A, B, and Q. These detail how much demil is required before release. Some of them merely limit who an item can be sold to, others require the removal of a critical piece to make it inoperable, and others require full destruction leaving no usable pieces. Keep in mind this related to complete units.

The bits and pieces, ie. repair parts for the most part are not viewed as assemblies and therefore almost never assigned a demil code requiring destruction. This is how all of the spare parts get sold off to folks like Dave. Your not going to find a pound of plutonium in the pile but for the most part everything else if fair game for disposal. Something unique to AM General is they instructed the military to purge stocks when they made changes rather than use existing stocks until they were depleted. So if a design change moved a hole or changed a dimension all of those parts in inventory went to DRMO for disposal even though they were brand new.

Kurt

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks