• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv m998 Hardtop B Pillar Install

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have an OEM hardtop trying to install.

My B-pillar has a slotted C channel. The bolts/nuts go through the front and back of the B-pillar separately.

On the hartop the B-pillar is a solid rectangle. So can't use bolts/nuts like with soft top.

Does anyone have an instructional manual and/or pictures of the set up??

I'm thinking it is a single long bolt that goes through but want to confirm. Also want to confirm the bolt diameter.

I've attached some pictures.

First pic is the top on a truck.......second picture is closeup showing the pillar bar that goes into chassis.

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 11.04.56 PM.jpg
IMG_2252.jpeg

Action

5/16” long bolts. The top 1/2 of the black b-pillar tube gets a piece put over it before the bolts go in. It creates a surface for the doors to seal to.
I have one of the covers available.

papakb

Attachments

Action

I'm not sure if I understand your problem. Are you trying to install the top without the intermediate bracket that goes between the top and the body section of the B pillar? I think what you need is the C shaped bracket that's about a foot long that all 16 of the 5/16 bolts that Action mentioned go into. See the illustration below. You can find them here: https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/7947/HM-1257-B-Pillar-Interconnect-Bracket-HMMWV
He has the newer aluminum roof. The mounting brackets are not open on the back side, so bolts go all the way through the pillar.

Action

Have an OEM hardtop trying to install.

My B-pillar has a slotted C channel. The bolts/nuts go through the front and back of the B-pillar separately.

On the hartop the B-pillar is a solid rectangle. So can't use bolts/nuts like with soft top.

Does anyone have an instructional manual and/or pictures of the set up??

I'm thinking it is a single long bolt that goes through but want to confirm. Also want to confirm the bolt diameter.

I've attached some pictures.

First pic is the top on a truck.......second picture is closeup showing the pillar bar that goes into chassis.

View attachment 843008
View attachment 843007
Find TM 9-2320-387-24p. Search the pdf for “aluminum roof”. You will find the pages you need close to there.

Reactions: cwc

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you everyone.

Correct this is I guess a 'new' style pillar. It is closed unlike the open C-type and the holes are larger.

So I was wondering both if it needs one long bolt and whether or not to drill the opening to the larger hole size.

Will look but my instinct is to use the 5/16" bolts rather than drill.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find TM 9-2320-387-24p. Search the pdf for “aluminum roof”. You will find the pages you need close to there.
Thank you Action. Great pdf. I think my top/parts may be newer than manual. Can't find it in there other than turret top and soft top materials.

Thanks all the same that is a great reference I will keep.

If I find it or if anyone directs me I will repost here. Thanks again.

Action

Thank you Action. Great pdf. I think my top/parts may be newer than manual. Can't find it in there other than turret top and soft top materials.

Thanks all the same that is a great reference I will keep.

If I find it or if anyone directs me I will repost here. Thanks again.
It is in there... figure 202E in my 2009 version of the TM.
5/16 - 18 x 4.25
You posted a pic of a turret roof in the first post. It just has a round metal plate bolted over the turret hole...

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is in there... figure 202E in my 2009 version of the TM.
5/16 - 18 x 4.25
You posted a pic of a turret roof in the first post. It just has a round metal plate bolted over the turret hole...
This helps a lot. My version was 1998. Will look for 2009 version.

My roof has no hole or metal plate. It is solid.

Is this normal??

Action

Here's another question if anyone has quick answer. I will keep looking in book.

Is there an OEM glass that fits this? And trim/seals????

Why would the military put a hole in this if it wasn't going to get glass?
The military uses a metal plate over the rear window hole. I may have that part number if you need it.
Can you post a pic of the inside of your roof?

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military uses a metal plate over the rear window hole. I may have that part number if you need it.
Can you post a pic of the inside of your roof?
That's what I don't understand.......if they just cover it with a metal plate, what's the point?? Just make it solid.

Action

DFF1EC9C-176C-4730-84B2-C71E4F028A45.png
How would people put a window in this?? Would need some type of rubber trim that fits in the hole and surrounds the window.

What have people done??
Get a piece of flat safety glass cut for you or
Take to a glass shop and let them do it all or
Buy some generic H shaped window seal that fits the wall and the glass...cut to fit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How would people put a window in this?? Would need some type of rubber trim that fits in the hole and surrounds the window.

What have people done??
Hi nikojo ,

There are all kinds of rubber window seals and over the years - I have seen some folks installing windows on YouTube videos. I looked and looked trying to figure out the NAME of the product. I may have found it finally!

Trim-Lok (Picture Below)

Window Gaskets - TrimLock.jpg

Comes in rolls so you can make whatever size you need for your HMMWV window. All kinds available. Chrome strip (that you wouldn't want) and plain black. Only thing to consider is make your cut "long". Over time, the rubber will shrink. AND be sure that the joint where the ends come together should be on the bottom of the window.

Caactus

Oh man... my wife has wanted me to look into a rear window conversion for a long time. I prefer the look of the stock metal plate but she thinks it would be easier to navigate the car pool lane if she had a window...