• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M998 presentation across the Atlantic.

foxtrot

A few days ago I posted a message for the first time in this forum.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/6-2l-6-5l-or-6-5l-gep.199669/

As promised I present it to you below.

AM GENERAL HMMWV M998
Active Duty: JRTC Joint Training Center at Fort Polk, Louisiana.
Serial number: 001581
Registration number: US ARMY NG198Z
delivery date: 07/1985
MWO Applied: 04/1997
Engine: 6,5l GEP July 06, 200?
Transmission: TH400
Transfer case: 242 AMC on December 02, 2003.
Stanadyne Pump: DB2831-5209 12555697 1995-97 HD (military) - N / A, 1.2 cSt * - -

Last edited:

foxtrot

The last three photos above are still an enigma for me.
# 1 Nameplate and Cap for indicator light.
# 2 Switch and instrument panel warning light.
# 3 Code in the deployment triangle stencil.

AAVP7

Congratulations, Foxtrot, to your new toy !

Make sure to check your Humvee thoroughly. It´s a great vehicle, but there are some points which can become very dangerous. Especially the wheel spindles in the hubs have been known to get loose while underway, and that´s potentially deadly for you, or for others.

This thread contains a lot of good info for the beginner:

Humvee check list

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't believe it is in France without evidence of crepes or croissants or at least a someone enjoying a good bottle of wine with cheese.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the newer style of turn signal switch that can be used with the newer black bigger steering wheel that has a cancel ring underneath to turn blinker off automatically after turn is complete. I think you still have the old style wheel. The newer one is worth the upgrade if you can find it on your side of the world.

The light and switch are probably a field modification for the amber flashing strobe convoy lights on a pole I suspect.

Welcome and nice looking ride :)

foxtrot

Your answers put me on the right track.
I got to work.
My goal is to return to the stock, paint the carc etc ...
I need help identifying the original unit of the truck.
With great patience, they appeared.

Serial number 001581
Registration number NG198Z
Date of delivery 07/ 1985

US ARMY
JRTC .. AD 07

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, That is from my side of the world and not too far away. My truck also came out of Ft. Polk. Been there several times.....
Joint Readiness Training Center is used for units called up and getting ready to ship out with last minute training to familiarize them with the environment they will be facing. Mock villages and vehichles to simulate the sandbox. They also hire locals to be "opposing" civilians. Interesting place.

Interesting as most US trucks do not have the sling data plate on the outside rear fender like yours. Don't recall having seen that one before.

Reactions: HDN

foxtrot

Wow, That is from my side of the world and not too far away. My truck also came out of Ft. Polk. Been there several times.....
Joint Readiness Training Center is used for units called up and getting ready to ship out with last minute training to familiarize them with the environment they will be facing. Mock villages and vehichles to simulate the sandbox. They also hire locals to be "opposing" civilians. Interesting place.

Interesting as most US trucks do not have the sling data plate on the outside rear fender like yours. Don't recall having seen that one before.

Knowing the history of his old truck is very enriching.
Glad yours is also from the training center.
I hope the restoration will bring credit to the veterans of Fort Polk.
He is now retired with an old parachutist.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Early M998’s had the data plate on the left rear fender that’s the easiest way to tell an early production truck from 10ft.
Also means it would have needed many of the MWO’s often needed such as Ebrake, seat belts etc...

foxtrot

Exact !
-Brake Retrofit
-Crossmember reinforcement
-High back seats
-3 Point Seat Belts
It has an MWO instruction plate.
I have the height-adjustable driver's seat, is it the A2 version?
I'll take a picture tomorrow.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early M998’s had the data plate on the left rear fender that’s the easiest way to tell an early production truck from 10ft.
Also means it would have needed many of the MWO’s often needed such as Ebrake, seat belts etc...
This is interesting as I just had the chance to get an eye on some brand new JLTVs in a motorpool... all of which had load/dimension data plates on the rear fender. I should have taken a picture but didn't. To me it makes sense. easier to figure out load data when you don't have to crawl in and out of the vehicle.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch and the light on the dash might be for that instrument light that is mounted on your left rear fender.

foxtrot

Yes possible.
An even blacker black light.
I admit that I have not yet followed the thread.
I'm just starting to have fun with gas tank incontinence.

foxtrot

No more leaks on the truck.
- I dismantled the heating to completely repair the cell, it had a flow in the center.

- I was not at ease with low battery voltage.
Checked the masses then took out the alternator to see that the regulator was new.
So by deduction I only had the tension screw left. I really like this truck.

Particularity on the dashboard in pictures. I followed the wire from the switch to the front of the vehicle.

20A

Last edited:

foxtrot

I need help.
I can't seem to find a TM on the parking brake allowing me to adjust,
equalize the brake pressure evenly distributed over the rear brake discs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks