• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV replacement windows...glass or polycarbonate?

Autonomy_Lost

I need to order a complete set of windows for some X doors I just purchased. It looks like Federal Military parts has a set of 4 "laminated glass" for $289, or a set of 4 "bullet resistant polycarbonate" for $349. I don't beleive that 3/8" polycarbonate will stop ANY bullet, but I'm sure it will be tougher. But will it also be more prone to fading and fogging up over time? What does everyone recommend?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to order a complete set of windows for some X doors I just purchased. It looks like Federal Military parts has a set of 4 "laminated glass" for $289, or a set of 4 "bullet resistant polycarbonate" for $349. I don't beleive that 3/8" polycarbonate will stop ANY bullet, but I'm sure it will be tougher. But will it also be more prone to fading and fogging up over time? What does everyone recommend?
I would go glass, unless you are armored and live in a Commifornia big city.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

foxtrot

My polycarbonate window sometimes plays tricks on me when I look in my rearview mirror.
She is over 30 years old.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that what they referred to as "ballistic glass"?
The main idea of the ballistic windows, to my understanding, was a layer of glass, then on the inside there was a layer of plastic the purpose of which was to keep the glass from all shattering into the occupant' faces when it got hit by something. It was only rated for small blast fragments/shrapnel, not actual bullets.

papakb

The original polycarbonate laminated glass was intended to be an "anti-spalling" glass meaning a projectile could hit it and break the glass but it would stop glass fragments from spraying around inside the vehicle and causing injuries. It was tempered glass like you have in your family car other than the winshield that is laminated glass. Unfortunately, the poly lamitate scratches easily and can yellow over time so unless you live in a really bad neighborhood you probably don't need it. Besides, as long as it's in good shape no one sees it anyway!

Most good glass shops can cut replacement glass to size for you at reasonable prices. Don't go to Safe-Lite because they only install pre-made glass. Here in San Jose we had a great old glass shop called Fontaine Glass and they actually stocked it. When I first got my HMMWV they cut new windshields for me for $45.

Autonomy_Lost

Not handy. I took a factory window in for them to measure. That way, if the size was wrong, i wouldn't be stuck with it.
Gotcha, I do have two broken windows incoming that I can take measurements off of. Hopefully they dont explode into a million pieces when I take them out of the frames!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The laminated glass can be cut by the local glass shop, the tempered glass is usually ordered from a supplier that can cut and then temper the glass, you cannot cut tempered glass, still tempered would be the way to go.
I am still looking for some 3/8 window frames...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks