• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Start Box Glow Plug ByPass Fix

jhighsmith

Greetings Brothers and Sisters
I have owned many Humvees and noticed a re occurring problem, either the glow plugs fail to come on at all, OR worst case scenario, they stay on all of the time and burn up.
I have went thru this repeatedly and came up with a fix that I am happy with.
I took my latest variant smart start box ( which happened to be bad ) and opened it up, and then, using a multi meter on continuity, I isolated the glow plug output, which is a #8 green wire - this wire comes from the computer board, thru the cannon plug at the upper fire wall, on the other side of the cannon plug, male side, this wire separates into 8 circuits ; going to each glow plug.
Cut the green wire at the circuit board and place a yellow heavy gauge eyelet 3/8ths on the green wire.
Using another dead start box, remove the 24 volt solenoid that controls the engine on and off, it is the only one in there.
This donor solenoid can be bolted to the corner cover of the box I was putting back in the truck.
Place the green wire on the 3/8th lug, of the donor solenoid
Run another yellow eyelet wire to the main power input at the computer board - now you have an input 24 volt and an output to the glow plug set.
Using a low voltage marine grade horn button, mount this next to the test port or the inboard side facing you as mounted in the truck
1 side of the horn button will go to the main 24 volt input line, the output from this button will go to the trigger side of the donor solenoid
Test fit your pieces so that everything fits in the box when it is bolted back together before mounting the solenoid and horn button.
I added a 24 volt LED light in the humvee style next to the horn button, the positive lead goes to the glow plug lug on the solenoid output, the negative goes under the mounting bolt of the solenoid. - Remember LEDs are polarity sensitive
Now when you want to activate your glow plugs ;
1) Turn on your ignition switch
2) Depress glow plug button for (4) seconds ; counting 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2 etc.
3) Rotate ignition switch to engage starter
*Note the Picture : #1 is the solenoid mounting bolts
#2 is the warning light that the glow plugs are activated
#3 is the power button - I used a sealed marine grade horn button. Voltage / Amps does not matter, as it is only engaged for (4) seconds.

If anyone is interested in this any further, please PM me, and I can take my box apart and post photos of the exploded view. - I did not do this as I built it, as it was a quick fix to run the truck, however, I mentioned it to some friends and they liked the idea so I thought I would share.

Joe

Attachments

Last edited:

California Humvee

I have owned many Humvees and noticed a re occurring problem, either the glow plugs fail to come on at all, OR worst case scenario, they stay on all of the time and burn up.
I took my latest variant smart start box ( which happened to be bad ) and opened it up, and then, using a multi meter on continuity, I isolated the glow plug output, which is a #8 green wire - this wire comes from the computer board, thru the cannon plug at the upper fire wall, on the other side of the cannon plug, male side, this wire separates into 8 circuits ; going to each glow plug.
Cut the green wire at the circuit board and place a yellow heavy gauge eyelet 3/8ths on the green wire.
Using another dead start box, remove the 24 volt solenoid that controls the engine on and off, it is the only one in there.
This donor solenoid can be bolted to the corner cover of the box I was putting back in the truck.
Run another yellow eyelet wire to the main power input at the computer board - now you have an input 24 volt and an output to the glow plug set.
Using a low voltage marine grade horn button, mount this next to the test port or the inboard side facing you as mounted in the truck
1 side of the horn button will go to the main 24 volt input line, the output from this button will go to the trigger side of the donor solenoid
Test fit your pieces so that everything fits in the box when it is bolted back together before mounting the solenoid and horn button.
I added a 24 volt LED light in the humvee style next to the horn button, the positive lead goes to the glow plug lug on the solenoid output, the negative goes under the mounting bolt of the solenoid. - Remember LEDs are polarity sensitive
2) Depress glow plug button for (4) seconds ; counting 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2 etc.
#3 is the power button - I used a sealed marine grade horn button. Voltage / Amps does not matter, as it is only engaged for (4) seconds.

If anyone is interested in this any further, please PM me, and I can take my box apart and post photos of the exploded view. - I did not do this as I built it, as it was a quick fix to run the truck, however, I mentioned it to some friends and they liked the idea so I thought I would share.

Joe

California Humvee

Joe
hey brother would you be willing to set up my glow plug box like yours, Im not a mechanic but I know if i see it a can always copy what you did to it, and help out my other brothers here in cali, I m not the only one having the same problem here, let me kmow thanks

jhighsmith

Ship me your starter box( make sure it's a good box other than a glow plug issue). You'd have to pay me for my time and parts, if you have another box and can pull the solenoid out and send it with the box this would save you some cash. When I get done I can get you a return shipping quote plus repairs and PayPal me and I'll get it returned to you in a few days. Sound pretty fair?
7411 19th ave E. Apt A
Tampa Fl 33619

This is one of my rental places and mail is safe to deliver here as the tenant is always home.
Let me know,
813-833-3536
Joe

jhighsmith

Send it to 9428 Six mile creek road Tampa FL 33610
When I get it ready to ship, i can send you the balance and just settle up with me on paypal.
Parts plus about 2 hours of my time and return shipping.
Then you can see what I did to fix your friends trucks.

Hum to the Vee

The attempt to locate my old box in my disaster of a garage was not successful. Figured it was best to just order a new one as I am not sure if the old one had issues or not. It wasn't original to the truck but I'm guessing it wasn't changed out recently by the amount of dust that was on it. You should have the new one shortly.

DocBreckon

HI. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are sending 24 Volts to the Glow Plugs with the bypass? I have read that the Glow Plugs are 12 Volts and not 24 Volts. Just asking to clarify. Dave

jhighsmith

You are correct. The start boxes cycle these glow plugs many times but no more than constant closed at 4 seconds. So when you memic this action externally you will cound to 4 as the momentary switch is closed. A 12 volts system can be closed 10 seconds or longer, however the current displayed by the 24 volt system will rupture the stock military glow plugs when energized longer than 4 seconds, even with the s th lock starter box set up

lahumvee

Joe
Hi Joe, were you able to take any photos of the box open? Also, the low voltage marine grade horn button, was this 24v or simple 12v? Thanks!

jhighsmith

Hi Joe, were you able to take any photos of the box open? Also, the low voltage marine grade horn button, was this 24v or simple 12v? Thanks!
There is room in the corners of the cover for the solenoid, the push button switch is 12 volt, you only hold it energized for 4 seconds, never had an issue

lahumvee

You still have not changed your location.
I sold my last truck several months ago, just put a solenoid in there on a dry run and test fit the lid. When everything closes that's where you want to mount it
What I meant....photos of the inside of the box. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks