• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv starting issues

Creed

I've done something stupid. I didn't cross my battery negatives. Since then my hmmwv wouldn't start. I thought maybe i burned my glow plug controller so I bought a new one from camotek. I tried again with new controller the engine cranks but never turns. Any suggestions?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure where to start, what do you mean "cross battery negatives"? the batteries are in series ground to neg, that battery pos to the next battery neg, then the second battery pos to the "system.
Also please define "cranks but never turns" by definition cranks means the engine is turning...

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I've done something stupid. I didn't cross my battery negatives. Since then my hmmwv wouldn't start. I thought maybe i burned my glow plug controller so I bought a new one from camotek. I tried again with new controller the engine cranks but never turns. Any suggestions?
Here's a good suggestion. Drop a dime and give me a call.

Operators standing-by, CAMO

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pretty much defeats the purpose of the forum, one of the reasons for the forum is so we can all learn...
Camo FaceTimed me when I was having ip problems. I never could have received that kind of help from words. He was able to see what I was seeing and I was able to do what he suggested real-time. I agree with your forum statement but sometimes a video call is worth a 1,000 words. You can still post your outcome as I did. Thank you again Camo.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That pretty much defeats the purpose of the forum, one of the reasons for the forum is so we can all learn...
I am sure the OP will report his experience or I WILL. Having the Camoteksystems controller gets my direct support. Try that with other "controller boxes" I also reached out directly. OP is free to share or discuss on going experience freely here.

Nobody defeated anybody. CAMO

Creed

Cam from Camotek was one of the best people I ever worked with. If you ever have the chance to work with him then you should. He stayed on the phone with me for hours walking me step by step. Never talks down to you, always want you to understand the process. We send pic and videos back and forth. A pleasure to work with such a guy. We checked the electrical and the fuel system from the gas tank to the engine. He even walked me through opening the fuel injector pump housing. We got fuel all the way to the injector pump, but not getting fuel to the injectors. Next up is trying to have someone remove rebuild and place back in. I know of Plan B Supply near Salt Lake City. Do you guys know of anyone else in the area?

Creed

Cam is the best guy to get you where you want. I don't know if he has time to do a video, but if not and you want a video done, then let me know. I would try to make one and post of all the things he walk me and taught me the past weekend.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you entertained doing the removal/install yourself? There are places to send the core to for a rebuild.
I'll admit the process is intimidating, but taking it one step at a time makes it a worthwhile venture.

Creed

Have you entertained doing the removal/install yourself? There are places to send the core to for a rebuild.
I'll admit the process is intimidating, but taking it one step at a time makes it a worthwhile venture.
So I got it out rebuilt and now installing it back in. Got the first bolt in, but crank wheel is not turning to place other two bolts. Don't know what the next step would be to get crank wheel moving again.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you have the pump correctly timed and the bolt fully seated so it does not get hung up on the cover as you turn the engine?

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you have the pump correctly timed and the bolt fully seated so it does not get hung up on the cover as you turn the engine?
There are one or three things on these an amateur should not try............ R & R ing an injector pump in my opinion is one of them. Drop a bolt down the front cover and you may not get a Masters Degree but you will earn a BS for sure.........my 2 cents.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are one or three things on these an amateur should not try............ R & R ing an injector pump in my opinion is one of them. Drop a bolt down the front cover and you may not get a Masters Degree but you will earn a BS for sure.........my 2 cents.
I was terrified of dropping the bolts down the cover. I cut beer can and stuck it in the hole and taped the seem so it was tight. I could use a magnet to fish bolt out without it grabbing anything else. RHW gave me a few great tips that saved me time and a better outcome. I have received so much help from good people here. I really liked how IP turned out. I think I will sell it if I ever have to change the starter… lol it looks scary.image.jpg

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was terrified of dropping the bolts down the cover. I cut beer can and stuck it in the hole and taped the seem so it was tight. I could use a magnet to fish bolt out without it grabbing anything else. RHW gave me a few great tips that saved me time and a better outcome. I have received so much help from good people here. I really liked how IP turned out. I think I will sell it if I ever have to change the starter… lol it looks scary.View attachment 885808
BRILLIANT ......my goto is tape or hot glue....did you invent this your self?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks