• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Steering Wheel Puller

ikoinu

Looking to pull your steering wheel? This might save you some time.

The early original steering wheels put on Humvees were terrible. Very narrow, felt like you were grabbing nothing.
The later models got a thicker wheel which feels more appropriate to the vehicle. These can be found on Ebay, and are not very expensive, $100+.
The one in the picture had this info on Ebay: NEW STEERING WHEEL M998 HUMVEE BLACK 12446803 2530-01-411-2729

Hammers don't work, neither do gear pullers. But this guy does:

20171214_174219.jpg
OEM 25200. Think I got it a while ago from Autozone. You could also get a military puller from ebay, but this is easier to find and cheaper to boot.

20171214_174254.jpg
Notice how narrow this allows the puller bolts to be placed. This is why this one works when others don't.
The bolts that come with it don't fit the Humvee steering wheel. I taped the ones that do to the package so I don't lose them.

20171214_160140.jpg
M6 1.00 x 70 bolts.

20171214_160229.jpg
M6 washers. (The ones in the package might fit, but I doubled up just in case.

20171214_181440.jpg
New wheel. Late model HMMWV factory.

20171214_181334.jpg
Old original wheel. Very uncomfortable. The damage was done by a mallet trying to get it off. I forgot I had that puller.

20171214_185355.jpg
Newer wheel: .92"

20171214_185203.jpg
Original wheel: .63"

Last edited:

papakb

That's a pretty standard automotive wheel puller. What the OMS shops use in a puller with a "C" shaped piece that looks like an overgrown retaining ring that grabs the wheel below the plastic hub. I mounted a black Hummer leather wrapped wheel on mine and it's much more confortable than the stock wheel.

Could you post some information about how the HMMWV wheels diameter has changed?

mil wheel puller.jpg

Last edited:

ikoinu

Lucky! I knew that there was a leather H1 wheel, wanted it but could'nt find it.
The steering wheel diameter is identical, just the rim thickness is different.

When I get a second I'll check the rim widths with a caliper.

Update: Posted pictures of the width difference.
If anyone has the part number of the original green steering wheels pictured, I would like to post it here for reference.

Last edited:

Radium

I know this is an older post, but it really helped me out. I have an original skinny green steering wheel on my M998, and I was unsure if the black steering wheel offered online would be different. The pictures helped me see the difference.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
black one fits in place of the green one easily. You can use the free rental tool from O'reilly's. No special puller needed. Pictures and details on my thread:
see post 109

After I did mine, Someone posted a picture of the newest horn button with a bugle imprint. Looks cool! Might want to consider changing the horn button at the same time. Mine was plain black.

New style available direct from AMG for I think $45 from their new website.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks